1990 speedometer gear in 4EAT transmission

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

notnowles
In Neutral

1990 speedometer gear in 4EAT transmission

Post by notnowles »

I had the often discussed speedometer cable drive that screws into the transmission fail on my car.

I got one from a parts car and installed/reinstalled it several times but can't get my speedometer to work.

Just wondering if anyone has had the speedometer drive gear fail that is inside the transmission, as I am beginning to think that's where my problem may be.

That said, I can not turn the gear with a screwdriver, which I think I should be able to do if the gear is stripped or broken.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Les
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Try sticking the cable in a drill and spinning it to see if the speedo works. If it doesn't then you know you have an issue with the cable. I'd ensure that's working before you focus on the gear inside the transmission.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I bet while fucking with the transmission you pulled the cable out from the back of the gauge cluster.
notnowles
In Neutral

Post by notnowles »

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Actually, I did connect a drill to the speedometer cable to be sure that the speedometer is working. I had removed the speedometer/cluster at the outset, thinking it was a problem there, cleaned and lubed the cable, but alas...

The speedometer works fine when I use a drill to spin the cable.

Like I said, it's weird, because when I insert a wide blade screwdriver into the gear in the transmission, I can twist it back and forth, maybe an 1/8 of a turn, which is what I would expect it to do, if it weren't stripped.

But I have taken the drive unit apart and reassembled multiple times, being certain that the wide tooth of the drive unit is engaged with the gear, and that the cable is in the square at the other end.

It's bizarre, but I am very suspicious that, when the drive unit seized and snapped, maybe the gear in the tranny was hurt.

However, I cannot pull that gear out with an up and twising motion, so perhaps it is held from inside the case.

I am also getting multiple flashes of the "power" light, when I start the car to road test it, which I suspect may be because the transmission needs the speedometer to function correctly?

I am by no means a Subaru expert!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you don't have an LSD jack the drivers side of the car up and put jackstands under the front a rear so both left wheels are off the ground and have someone put the car in gear while you watch down the speedo hole
notnowles
In Neutral

Post by notnowles »

Ciper,

Thank you for the suggestion!

I am going to do that, and I am embarrassed to admit that I did think of it, but somehow had the idea that I had to have all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time.

(Yes, this is my first AWD car...)

My recent history includes several warnings for speeding (though not in the Subaru) so I am concerned about not having a working speedometer.

That said, I may have to live w/o one if fixing the problem is going to require R & R of the tranny in February.

There is a small steel plug pressed into the side of the differential casing, which is directly in line with the speedometer gear, so I am wondering if, behind that plug, there might be a set screw to keep the gear from coming out of the top of the case.

First stop, as you suggest, is to look to be certain that the gear is not turning.

Thanks again!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Let us know what you find. You are correct the ECU & TCU need a proper speedo signal to operate correctly.

The cooling fans will remain on, and the torque converter will not lock up.

So it's in your best interest to get the speedo fixed as soon as you can. I'm not sure about that plug and whether it allow access to the gear. Let us know what you find with that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Brennan
In Neutral

Re: 1990 speedometer gear in 4EAT transmission

Post by Brennan »

I am having the exact same problem, what did you find out notnowles?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1990 speedometer gear in 4EAT transmission

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS Brennan.

My suggestion would be to pull the adapter off the transmission so all that is there is the piece that goes into the transmission. Then jack the car up and try rotating the tires to see if that piece moves. I don't believe the engine needs to be running, but if you get nothing turning by hand it may be a good idea to try it with the engine running and transmission in D. Make sure to jack the entire car off the ground.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT