4EAT not fully releasing

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Lunatech
Second Gear

4EAT not fully releasing

Post by Lunatech »

Hey guys, I’ve been having an issue with my ’96 wagon for awhile now and I would like to call on some of our resident automat transmission gurus for some advice.

OK, say you drive to the store, pull into a spot and put it in park. Next you turn off the engine and you can feel the car (relax) slightly lunge backwards as if it were still trying to drive forward after you put it in park. I have done much research and searching on the subject and have found virtually nothing. I know very little about automatic transmissions, but am learning. I would like to learn more, it has about 233k miles on it. It does flash the A.T Oil Temp light 16 or 17 times at start up and has a slight bind, but it works well otherwise, could those issues be related to this, not fully releasing one? The fluid looks and smells right.
So, what do you think?
Oh and don’t say I should convert to manual, I already have one of those in my ’90 and I love it, but I love the auto also.

Thanks in advance.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Re: 4EAT not fully releasing

Post by ericem »

My old 93 did the same thing. Definitely the transfer case not sure why it does this, i think it is related to the park brake and the clutch not releasing. Sounds like you need a new transfer clutch and drive solenoid.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Thanks Eric.

Curious how the transfer clutch problem could affect that. I have seen stranger things. I knew I was going in to repair the clutch/solenoid issue, I just wasn't sure if I had bigger things to worry about. I suppose I will go ahead and work on the transfer area and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sounds like the duty c solenoid. The slight binding and parking issues are likely related to it.

Have you tried installing a fuse in the FWD fuse holder to see if the two problems go away?

Additionally, have you pulled the codes for the TCU to see what is stored?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Tried installing a fuse in the FWD fuse holder, no change. Have not pulled the codes for the TCU, not sure how to get them. I have read that the AT Oil temp flashing 16 times is the duty C solenoid. As i stated before I knew I was going to have repair the clutch/solenoid issue.
Robert,

georryan wrote:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Like the first gen legacies, the default blinking of the AT oil temp light is 16 blinks. That just indicates there's a problem. I don't know the specific instructions on how to pull the codes from the 2nd gen Legacy off the top of my head. There's bound to be the procedure on NASIOC though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm