Shifting Help, Car wont shift into gear.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AaronNault
In Neutral

Shifting Help, Car wont shift into gear.

Post by AaronNault »

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, I have been on nasioc and rs25 before but have searched this forum before but just recently became a member anyways I recently purchased a 1991 Legacy SS with 137k and 2 rust spots I live in the U.P. of Michigan and I took it for a drive yesterday and after driving for a little while I went to downshift and the car would not go into gear.
I tried several times and ended up stopping the car and putting it into gear then took off and tried shifting again and it wouldnt go. I made it home and stopped and pushed in the clutch and shifted through the gears it seemed to work so I went for a drive and could only shift up to 3rd where it woudlnt go into any gears and I had to stop the car again. before when I would shift it seemed that the transmission would jar back and forth idk if maybe the motor mounts are contributing to this.

Just curious if anyone has had any problems like this? It has been cold like below 10 degrees idk if that coulod be a contributing factor though I did let it warm up. Could it be the Slave cyclinder or do I just need to adjust somthing? I dont belive the clutch is bad the guy I bought it from just had a new one put in less than a year ago and everything worked fine so far.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shifting Help, Car wont shift into gear.

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

I would first suggest checking the engine & trans mounts as well as the shifter stay bushings. Does the shifter feel very loose?

If the mounts seem good, I'd then probably suggest checking out the master & slave cylinder. Try and determine how much movement you get with the slave cylinder piston.

Are you able to shift through the gears with the car stopped and engine still running, or do you have to turn off the engine? If you can shift through the gears with the engine running, try holding the engine rpms higher, 2000-3000 rpm, and then try shifting.

Also, have you checked the trans fluid? How does it look and is it filled adequately?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Yeah the shifter doesnt feel loose after the car is completley stoped and let it idle down for a second i can shift through all the gears, I checked the fluid before and It was fine but ill check it again. it seems only when the car is in motion it wont shift into gears, im thinking it is the master or slave cylinder, I was planning on buying new motor mounts anyway. I have looked thorugh the site and havent really found much on the Cusco solid mounts I would really like those but cannot find any solid information as to if they will work or not.
the fluid was clean and I believe it was just changed from the previous owner. I have tried to have it at higher rpms I usually give the throttle a little blip while downshifting as not to be to hard on it or if i am driving hard and using heel toe I make sure to give throttle before downshifting. it started doign this after i drove hard for about 5 min the car was warmed up so im thinking the master or slave cyclinder.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

http://www.boxer4racing.com/transmis.htm

This web site has the cusco mounts
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd recommend the STi/Group N mounts. They are plenty stiff enough, and can be had for much less money than the cusco stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

True! Group N Is Super Solid!
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Well I havent got a chance to get around to it my birthday was the 5th had a death in the family and school just started again so I have been busy. Im curious to ask why most people go group N? Is it just because they are more affordable? I know there would be more noise vibration with the solids but that is not an issue with me doesnt matter. I have heard nothing but good things from both and was only looking at the cuscos because they are more solid than the Ns but I guess ill have to think on it more. Since I guess were in the drivetrain area would anyone recomend a flywheel? if I have to pull the clutch and stuff might as well, but im sure youll all tell me to do a seach which is fine to.

thanks again
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

IF you've ever driven in a car with group n (sti) mounts, you'd realize that they are plenty stiff, and for a street car or even autocross/rally, they are more than sufficient.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Well I have been super busy with working full time and a full time school schedule whew... Well I drove the car the other day and let it properly warm up for a while and it still wouldn't shift into gear once I shifted out of gear. I tried revving the car up and it seems to work but it is still a bit stiff to put in gear.
It seems when the car is cold it will shift into gear just fine but as soon as it heats up it wont shift or its real hard to get into gear ither car has to be stopped or the car has to be reved up.
I checked the fluid that night and it was white.. looked all bubbly I figured that the car was low on fluid maybe thats why so I checked it in the morning while the car was cold and the fluid was above the full line by a little bit. Maybe to much fluid.
I currently dont drive the car which is good but I plan on doing a scottys transmission mix and also getting a set of motor mounts to put on there in the spring time. Pitch stop mount and transmission mounts, Diff lock mounts and maybe some other misc stiffening items, any suggestions?

I had a question regarding short shifters, I know there are none really for the car the ones that are are expensive but, I have read about some people using WRX shifter linkage. My question is does it just bolt right in to the stock existing linkage or is there any sort of fixing orr fabbing needed? I would like to replace all the bushings and put a short shifter on my car if possible while im doing all this stuff.
haha I know this is alot and you can reply to what you like but again thanks everyone for all the replies thats why I like this forum more than any other...

cheers Aaron
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It almost sounds like the clutch is not engaging fully and not letting the transmission spin down so it can get in gear. Have you looked at the clutch master & slave cylinders? Do you appear to be getting full travel of the clutch fork? Have some depress the clutch and you watch the top of the clutch fork. How much distance does it travel?

Does your tranny fluid look foamy? If so, you need to replace it....even the white looking, does not sound good. DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT use the scotty transmission mix. It may seem like it works, but in the long run it may cause you more issues. The best stuff I've used, and I've used a lot is the stock Subaru Xtra-S transmission fluid. Valvoline 75w90 is alright, and may be the way to go to flush out all that old nasty fluid.

Personally, I'd start by replacing the fluid. Mounts are good, and may help, but they're not going to help an issue with the trans, especially if the current mounts are still good.

Regarding shifters, you can swap an entire WRX shifter in if you replace the joint on the shift rod. Check out the sticky compilation thread in this forum. The first link in that post has a lot of good info. Here's a couple threads from myself regarding swapping over to the newer style shifter.

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... =7&t=17894
http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... =7&t=18480

There's probably several more threads about the shifter if you search. Again, I'd focus on fixing the issue with the trans then work on other mods.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

yeah fixing the main issue at hand is first priority, figured while I was on the subject I would ask to save further frustration and posts down the road. The fulid was just recently replaced at a subaru dealership I have all the papers to prove it but maybe ill have to look. The kid I bought the car from said that the clutch was recently replaced less than a year ago at his local shop but didnt have paper work. The fluid when the car was cold looked clear and clean but it was only after the car was running that it was white looking. Ill replace it and go through all the other stuff, just been really busy with school and work what not. Again thanks its very much appreicated.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Any chance you could take a picture of the fluid when cold and when warm?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Yeah ill try tonight when I get home or post it tomarow. What about clutch setups if I was to puchase one Exedy I know and I would replace the FW also while I was at it, do most people go with a stage 1 so they can be a little more agressive or just stock oem replacement. Ive heard good and bad on both in alot of posts on here. just if anyone knows. ill try to get some pictures. maybe some of my car to... haha
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Unless you're going for crazy power, I'd just stick with the stock Exedy unit. It's a lot cheaper to replace a clutch than it is a gear box.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Like Josh says stay with the stock exedy. This sounds to me like you aren't getting full clutch disengagement. This sounds stupid and elementary but make sure the floor mat isn't blocking the clutch pedal and keeping you from pushing it all the way down. Make sure the clutch cylinders are bled, it's a bitch, but it could help.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Well, upon warming the car up yesterday and getting pictures I decided to take it for a drive around the block. when the car is cold it seems to work fine, I got a picture of the tranny fluid cold it looks like any other normal fluid so I didnt take a picture. But upon driving around I went to shift into 5th and all the car does is revv... so I went back to my house the car was at a complete stop I can put it in 5th gear and rev it and nothing happens after the clutch is dissengaged car just sits still. haha so we have a new problem... the fluid didnt change consistancy this time either it wasnt foamy, maybe i didnt let it run long enough.
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

And also why should I not use the Scotty cocktail transmission mix?
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Its not going to help what is happening in regards to your not going into gear problem. It's expensive. The only fix for worn synchros is new synchros. Heavy oil will help slightly, but that too is just a quick fix. (the one that I choose to use)
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Im not asking about the Cocktail mix to fix my current problem. I am refering to after I get my current shifting problem fixed. Currently no 5th gear dont know if the transmission is gone or if its just the clutch.
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Pretty sure I found out part of my problem..

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... =7&t=45811

Now the question should I replace clutch and all that stuff while this is out just to be safe? Also Is there any options for a beefier transmissoin? I have been doing searches and all the comes up is the 4eat auto trannys. Idk if any one knows any help would be appreciated if not thats fine to.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Just find another good turbo legacy transmission or a wrx transmission 02-03. I think it is the same final ratio but if you do some searching you will find all the info.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
92legacyL
First Gear

Post by 92legacyL »

gunna have to check out those mounts
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The scotty mix has fluids that are not necessarily designed for your transmission. Some of the fluids can wear the brass baulk rings and may not have enough EP additives. Additionally, the fluid can stratisfy when setting. Here's some pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/cocktail
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... /cocktail2
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Are there any options for building the transmission with stronger parts? I have tried searching and am still in the process of looking but not comming up with much. Would it be more benifitial to rebuild what I have or just buy another transmission? I have done some searches for STI transmission and have found some but no one really entails what it takes to put it in. I know transmission and the splines for the axels are diff set up but wasnt to sure what else. I wouldnt mind saving up and putting the best thing I can in there, like I said the car is currently not being driven and is going to be a project car so Im just taking my time and doing it right the first time. But the concept of an STI transmission sounds very appealing, and I would have no problem saving up and waiting to have what I want rather than a quick fix.

This so far is the best post I have found as to referenceing the STI transmission.
http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... =7&t=35457
AaronNault
In Neutral

Post by AaronNault »

Again thanks everyone for all of the help It is very appreciated.