help with transmission and flywheel mismatch

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mazda ej22t
First Gear

help with transmission and flywheel mismatch

Post by mazda ej22t »

hey guys i have a 92 turbo automatic transmission. on kijiji here there is a 99 wrx 5 sp manual transmission for $420. im also working out a deal to trade my door panels and some other parts for a 2002-2004 lightened flywheel. will all of these work together? and would i use a clutch from the 99 wrx transmission? will i need to swap any diffs with going with this transmission? can i use legacy axle stubs?

ive been searching and cant find if they are compatible most transmission swaps are 02+ wrx swaps thanks guys for the help in advance appreciate this
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Re: help with transmission and flywheel mismatch

Post by mazda ej22t »

sorry re-read the kijiji ad and its an sti 5 speed from what he is saying.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

A '99 5 speed from a turbo model (STI) will be compatable with an '02 WRX flywheel and clutch.

Not sure about the axles. Check with the old auto>5 speed threads.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think the front axles should be interchangable. I am going to guess you'll need to swap the rear diff to match the final drive ratio in the 99. If you do that, the rear axles may be different, female, vs male. However I think you may be able to swap over the stubs or get stubs from a similar year Subaru.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

are wrx and sti rear diffs the same? what about other makes like forresters etc. and since i need to swap the rear diff should i be looking for a lsd? im new to this scene and it seems a LOT of parts are interchangable but you need certain parts to run other parts etc lol just trying to learn as best i can lol thanks
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

One other note about the WRX 5MT.

You CAN use it with your stock rear end if you swap out the tail shaft (this includes the transfer gears) for one from any other Phase 2 5MT. Every other subaru 5 speed has 1:1 transfer gears.

Much easier than replacing the 3.545 R&P in my opinion.

also found this note browsing some threads. even though this is a wrx tranny, the sti is a 5 speed as well. does anyone know if this is compatible too? if so im picking up the tranny this weekend thanks
prodrive
First Gear

Post by prodrive »

get me the trans code.i will let you know what final gear you need
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

i emailed him today to get the number off cause sti's werent in us or canada in 99. so i asked to get that to verify if it was indeed an sti tranny.
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

http://subarugears.narod.ru/

found this link to show you the transmission codes. really good info here
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

looks like all are 4.44 final drives, and 2 are dccd and one is viscous. ive read to try to not get the dccd one. why is that? maybe thats why this guy is selling it?
prodrive
First Gear

Post by prodrive »

i have dccd in my ss and impreza.
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

alright i found the dccdpro website that i can use that harness to hook it up. by the looks of it i can just make my own adjustment knobs to save $150 plus shipping
prodrive
First Gear

Post by prodrive »

dccd has control unit(ecu) n knob.
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

ok so he gave me the number and i looked it up. he said its a 99 japanese sti tranny. it is actually a 96-97 wrx type RA motor. 6R-TY752VB5BA is the transmission number he gave me. so he was wanting $500 and said he would sell it for $450, NOW with it not being an sti transmission, what would these wrx transmissions be worth? pretty bummed out about finding this but im glad i got the number before i bought it thinking it was an sti
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

found this quote on wikipedia. so sounds like this is still a good transmission as it was meant for rally cars. it doesnt have the dccd which would have been cool to have. now i just have to talk him down in price since its not an sti tranny

The WRX Type RA has had a weight reduction to 1,170 kg (2,579 lb), and uses a closer ratio gearbox.
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

hey so i ended up buying this transmission for $350. it didnt come with anything else so now i have to match everything. i have a gc 5 speed shifter and i now need some linkage to make it work with the tranny, no big deal. rear diff on the model is 4.44 viscous. do i have to get a rear diff for this to work now?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

gotta match the rear diff
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Oooo 4.44 gears!

Your car is going to accelerate. Much. Faster.

You are also going to be turning 3500rpm at 60mph. If you care about mileage you might want to trade this trans for a 3.9... Otherwise find a 4.44 rear diff and enjoy your new rocketship legacy.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

Speaking from experience, 4.44 blows chunks on the highway. Depending on the trans, topout is something on the order of 100 mph, and cruising without causing unnecessary wear to your motor is <<70 mph.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Yeah I have 4.11 gears in the car now and while rad and fast, it is overkill now that I have a dedicated fun car.
If I never drove on the interstate and only did city and mountain driving these gears would be perfect. But I make 300 mile road trips often and the mileage is poor.

I would only consider 4.44 for a race car. Or if you want a street rocket.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

i dont do much of any highway driving. most of which is only 1/2 hour away. it will be a street machine and track truck as well. yes i said truck :) i have the close ratio ra tranny which is suppose to be rally aspired i guess. so this thing will fly? haha thats always good. this is my first subaru, and it was automatic swapping to manual. im basically diving in without reading and knowing everything. i just head subies and lego blocks.