Manual Transmission internal Speedo Gear

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ivelrrat
In Neutral

Manual Transmission internal Speedo Gear

Post by ivelrrat »

I just bought a 91 legacy at auction last weekend and it has a few problems...

The most annoying issue right now is the speedo not working. I have read many posts on this forum and others finding some good information. I know that the Speedometer itself works and the cable works. i removed the cable and each end spins the other. What I believe to not be working is the part inside the trany. I put my fingers on the end of the cable inside the car and it does not spin while driving. each time i looked at the part in the trany the little slot was in the same position after driving. every forum i have read the discussion stops once this part is mentioned. I want to know if it is possible to fix this. has anyone ever messed with this before?

Thanks for looking and let me know if there is more information i can fill in for you.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Manual Transmission internal Speedo Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's possible but requires removing the transmissiona tearing it apart to get access to the gear. Not worth it IMO. Or I would do it because my transmission is from a forester and reads 10% higher than it should.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

well depending on what you're using your car from, the speedo not working throws a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) code and kinda makes the car run in limp mode.....

if you want a gear i probably have one, it's just a little plastic gear that's held on to the shaft by a ring clip.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. My car ran like shit and it was in limp mode without the speedo connected.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ivelrrat
In Neutral

Post by ivelrrat »

cj91legss wrote:well depending on what you're using your car from, the speedo not working throws a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) code and kinda makes the car run in limp mode.....

if you want a gear i probably have one, it's just a little plastic gear that's held on to the shaft by a ring clip.

Im getting the vss code. To replace the gear does the transmission have to be taken apart or does it come out a different way?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

it has to be taken apart
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Transmission is removed from the car and the case must be split. Once the halves are separated, you'll have access to the speedo gear.
SUBARUEHS Racing
njdriver04
First Gear

Post by njdriver04 »

If you do your homework replacing the gear is not too difficult, sounds scary splitting the trany but its not that bad. get a gear for a 3.9 ratio trany
'04 forester XT
Scoob Alumni
'94 TW, '96 L, '00 GT