engine wont come away from gearbox?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evoetr
In Neutral

engine wont come away from gearbox?

Post by evoetr »

so ive brought a 91 rs legacy with the intention of putting the ej20g out of my dereged auto gt legacy into it. 1st question is will the manual trans bolt up to the auto motor?
2nd im having huge problems getting the enigine in the rs to come away from the gbox. ive got them split apart and know that there is no more bolts or anything like that holding it. but it just will not come off the imput shaft. has anyone else had this problem? i need help haha
Doaomo
First Gear

Re: engine wont come away from gearbox?

Post by Doaomo »

evoetr wrote:so ive brought a 91 rs legacy with the intention of putting the ej20g out of my dereged auto gt legacy into it. 1st question is will the manual trans bolt up to the auto motor?
2nd im having huge problems getting the enigine in the rs to come away from the gbox. ive got them split apart and know that there is no more bolts or anything like that holding it. but it just will not come off the imput shaft. has anyone else had this problem? i need help haha
On the driver side of the 5mt there is a circular plate with a large hex key fitting in the face of it. After removing this there is a large retaining pin that can be pulled using the threaded part of the battery tie down. There is a post about it here somewhere but I don't remember where. Good luck! This drove me bat shit crazy when I had the same issue.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, the engine will bolt up.

Is the RS a turbo model? With turbo gearboxes you have to remove the spindle that the clutch release fork rides on. There's a 10mm allen plug on the left. If you don't do this, you won't be able to separate the engine and transmission because the fork won't let go of the throwout bearing which is attached to the pressure plate. Removing the axle allows you to slide the fork upwards.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evoetr
In Neutral

Post by evoetr »

thank you guys sooooooo much!!! i was driving myself crazy we knew there had to be something holding it in still but couldnt work out what. i read this and 5 min later bam the motor is sitting on the ground. cant thank you enough guys!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

We've all done it. I spent an hour literally wrestling the engine trying to pull it apart when I received my swap in the mail and then decided to call Jake up and he explained the hex plug and the clutch pin that has to be removed to release the throw out bearing. It was apart in 2 mins after that.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yup, this issue is right up there with "my parking/city lights won't turn off."
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evoetr
In Neutral

Post by evoetr »

any tips on putting it back in? how do i get the clutch fork back into position? once its back together?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Clip the throwout bearing into the pressure plate. Don't install the spindle until the engine and transmission are mated together. Leave the fork in there; it'll be loose. As you slide the engine and transmission back together, you can pull up on the fork and slide it into the throwout bearing. Then, after they're fully mated, slide in the spindle for the fork and move the fork around to line them up.

[Edit: Wait, no -- see Josh's post below.]
Last edited by vrg3 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to be clear, you do not want to hook the throw out bearing into the pressure plate until after everything is installed. It should look like this when you're getting ready to install things.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_5949.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, right, thanks, Josh, I'll edit my post.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Reviving an old post, because I'm finishing my clutch job and cannot for he life of me get the throw out bearing to seat into the pressure plate! The manual says the clutch fork should just press it in with hand force, but that is not the case with me. I've tried prying some but I don't want to screw up my $500 clutch kit. Any tips?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is this on your turbo legacy with the pull style clutch?

Did you try installing the throw out bearing on the pressure plate while it was out of the car as a "test" to just make sure it works? What brand clutch/pressure plate and throw out bearing are you using?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Its on a GC WRX trans, but its the same pull style clutch setup. I did do the test before hand to see that it snaps in. Its an Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit.

We looked in there with a bore scope Saturday and you can see the TOB sliding in and out of the PP. It has a faint click like it seats, but pulls right out.

It was recommended that a Subaru TOB might solve this, but at $100ish that's a painful solution. :-/ I'm familiar with aftermarket parts having cruddy service life, but flat-out not working? That's just nuts. It doesn't seem noticeably cheaper than the stock one, which I assume is an FHI since it has the logo on the old clutch disc.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's not that the aftermarket part is cruddy, it just may be that the tolerances are not correct or the aftermarket part was poorly reverse engineered. What brand is it?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Its Exedy. The kit came with clutch, pressure plate, TOB and pilot bearing.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I had a problem with a brand new exedy TOB not clicking into place. The center ring on the pressure plate was the issue. I swapped it from my old pressure plate, and all was well.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I still have the old piece. I'll try that before I get a new TOB. Worst that will happen is I have to pull the trans a 3rd time if it doesn't work.

Anyone happen to know of a common item that's the right size to plug the rear of the trans wth?

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

James614 wrote:Anyone happen to know of a common item that's the right size to plug the rear of the trans wth?

Did you already fill the trans up with fluid? I just used tape to cover the area where the rear driveshaft hooks up, but that may not work if there's fluid in there. You could also try putting a rubber glove around it and use rubber bands to keep it on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Yeah, its got some Amsoil fluid that's like $17/qt. Not trying to spill that stuff, lol

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Finally had time to fix this. It was the throw out bearing, and not the little snap ring. The Exedy bearing inexplicably had a lot more in and out play compared to the old one when snapped in. I reused the old one (which also inexplicably spun better than the new one) and all is well. Both look to be the same brand (NTN) which is even more puzzling. Sounds like I just got a defective throwout bearing.