Is there a swappable answer?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ej22tVermont
First Gear

Is there a swappable answer?

Post by ej22tVermont »

Hey guys, my 2.2T is in T-rouble! I lost 2nd gear, and the transmission is really a whining lately! I need some advice from some of you who may have been in my situation and found a solution. What I have is a 1994 SS, that is an automatic, with 3.9 rear end. I live in Vermont, where there are very few people/shops that know anything about these cars, even the dude at the dealer a few years back said "Subaru didn't turbocharge cars until 2002". He was an idiot! So what I need to know is, what transmissions if any will work for my car, without the need to modify anything. We are looking to just be able to swap it out, then rebuild the original over the winter. However winter is coming fast and I need my car reliable and driveable! Any advice would be so appreciated! I am also looking to do this as cost effectively as possible, since I have not worked in months due to health issues and surgeries, that have limited my budget! Thanks to anybody with any knowledge!!!
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Re: Is there a swappable answer?

Post by Someperson »

There's a 4eat around the site check the parts shed. Someone was selling it, saw a post about it last night... Not sure if it will fit. Best of luck
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 92-94 non-turbo legacies also had a 3.90 final drive ratio, same as the turbo legacy. Those transmissions are probably going to be your best option. I believe the turbo legacy TCU should work, if not, you may need to just swap in a non-turbo Legacy TCU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,

I'd also recommend matching the TCU w/the trans - I had some weird shifting when running an NA TCU w/my turbo trans.

Also, for options, I'm fairly confident you can run a newer trans from a '95-98 Legacy - L/LS/GT/OB or Impreza, but you'll need to get the matching rear diff. The EJ22 are 4.11; the EJ25 are 4.44 FD ratio. You can use this w/your '90 TCU. Get the flexplate from the engine, too. EJ25 are different than EJ22...but I 'think' the Turbo's flexplate may be the same as the EJ25.

Check the last post on this THREAD about it working. There's also info over on the USMB site.

I know you don't want to 'modify anything' but changing the rear diff isn't too tough depending on the amount of rust under your car.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Bump
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
ej22tVermont
First Gear

Post by ej22tVermont »

Thanks guys, I am hunting for any one of those transmissions now. With any luck my bucket of rust will be moving again soon! (Not really that rusty!). Owning a rare car in Vermont is not fun when problems arise.