inhibitor switch quesion?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

inhibitor switch quesion?

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok.

This may be a sort of odd/dumb question but.....Here we go.

Im in the middle of a 5mt trans swap for my 93 SS

And im now waiting for some parts....dam TOB sleeve!

Anyways

In regards to the electrics of a AT to MT conversion.

What if i DID NOT FOLLOW:
http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/electrical.html

And all i did was, stick the the inhibitor switch in N and stuck it up some where?
My good buddy at work said that "THAT" would be the easy way out but im not too sure about that.

I can see some problems in doing this:

ECU might not like it?
Cant get the key out of the ignition/starting issues?
Having to getto rig the wiring for the reverse lights

Dont get me wrong here. I have read deep into the http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/electrical.html

Am i just just wasting time thinking about this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Tom
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: inhibitor switch quesion?

Post by Legacy777 »

I suppose you could do it, but I honestly don't really see a huge benefit or gain in time to do it. You don't necessarily have to put in the clutch interlock circuit. You can just jumper pins 11 & 12 together, hook up the reverse lights, and neutral switch, pull the AT electrical components out, and deal with the AT/MT pin.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

AT/MT pin
I assume that you mean the ecu identifier pin right?

I just basically need MT gear box in my car because, i failed my vehicle safety when i went to get my car insured....

They told me that "in an emergency if you need to back up you fail if you cant....'

My AT will go forwards but not backwards!

So ya. I guess to answer my own question with my own question....

You cant really cheat. Do it right.
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, the AT/MT pin is the ECU identifier pin.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Ok. Kinda bringing this back from the dead now. I just dont want to make a new thread about this stuff.

I have done ALL the mechanical stuffs of my 5mt swap into my 1933 SS.

So now i want to do the electrical stuff RIGHT THE 1ST TIME!!!

I keep running over and over this walk through of the wiring and some thing just dont click with me?
http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/electrical.html

1. For starters i dont understand the ECU MT/AT identifier wiring....
I have a 1993 ss from what im reading here i have to hook up a 5V ref. to pin 20 of B48?

Where is this wire/ a wire that i can use as a ref.????
Does all the AT cars harness have them tucked away some where???

2. The Starter interlock relay im have issue with to but ill stew a bit on that.

Any ways any help would rock!

I just want to hop into my car and do everything like a MT car should for starting and stopping and such.

Thanks!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Ok, let's start with the AT/MT identifier pin. The ECU sends a reference voltage (5v) to that pin. If nothing is hooked up to that pin, the 5v is just hanging out. Think of the 5v as a full beer. If no one is drinking it and it's just sitting there, it's still a full beer.

Now, back to the wiring, if a wire is connected to that reference voltage and connected to ground, the voltage on that pin will go to ground, i.e. 0v. If we relate that to our full beer, think of it as drinking it, pouring it in a beer bong, etc. Once you do that, you no longer have a full beer, you have an empty beer.

So if we tie all this together, when the ECU indicates that it wants to see 5v to indicate the car a MT, you just need to make sure there is not a wire going to the AT/MT pin. If the car is an AT car, there will be a wire there, and all you need to do is cut it. That is all you need to do, and the ECU will now know it's hooked up to a MT.

Regarding the starter interlock circuit, honestly the easiest thing for you to do is jumper the two pins (pins 11 & 12) together on the B15 connector and call it good. This will allow the car to start and do everything it needs to do to run. What this doesn't do is put the safety system in place that keeps you from starting the car without the clutch depressed. The downside is that you could start your car in gear and it could hit something.

I had some issues with my starter interlock circuit and removed it, so what I described above is how I currently have things setup. I don't need to depress the clutch. I am just very aware of taking it out of gear or depressing the clutch before starting the car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Legacy777/Josh.

I thank you very VERY much for your perfect explanation of the MT/AT identifier pin!
I finally get it now! Its not that hard.... I feel a little bit dump inside now.....

You also cleared up another issue of mine! I If i can just jump B15 wires 11-12 together and have things still be cool! Very happy to know that you acutely have this setup right now!

I only have a single concern really.

I imported this car from the good old USA. and she has never been licensed. So i need to take it for a MPI safety inspection. And im perty sure that a clutch interlock system is a item that they could fail my car under.....Unless i "state" that the car has a JDM wiring harness installed! LOL

Anyways i really hate clutch safety stuff. I would like to have it but i would like it only for the MPI inspection of the car, then rip it out.

Any idea's how to ghetto rig something like that for a temp patch???

This should have probably been in the electrical section

Thank you very very much!

Best forum site ever!!!!
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

You should be able to run two wires off the back of the inhibitor switch off the back of the clutch pedal and put the wires in the spot where you would jumper to bypass the neutral saftey switch I'm just not 100% if the switch on the pedal is open or closed when the pedal is being pressed but a multimeater will give you that answer
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The neutral switch doesn't do anything with the clutch interlock system.

As Zeke mentioned though, you can temporarily put a relay in there to get things working.

Another option....I need to make sure I still have mine, but I made a plug and play harness that connects up to the connector going to the ignition switch. If I still have it, I'd be happy to send it to you to use for the MPI inspection. You would just have to connect one wire to ground and plug in the connector to the clutch start switch.

Here's a picture of the harness:

http://surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/ ... rness4.jpg

Since I had issues with it, I wouldn't recommend keeping it in there permanently, and I'd request you send it back to me once you passed the MPI.

I'm travelling this week, but will check this weekend to see if I still have it. Send me a PM/email reminder if you haven't heard from me by Saturday.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Nibbib
First Gear

Post by Nibbib »

hopefully someone might help me on this subject.

my TW has been swapped with a 5sp and I'm having a 51 cel in D-check.

I wasn't the one who did the swap but I've owned the car for a little over a year and it just came up with that cel last month...

just wondering where would i start I'm not sure if the 11 & 12 pin are jumped
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Does your TW still have the TCU installed? Do you know if the electral was swapped/done properly?

If you do not know, my recommendation would be to read through the electrical section of my swap right up and then go to check your car to see if those things were done or not. Then post back what you find.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT