Sloppy shifter? READ THIS FIRST!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Sloppy shifter? READ THIS FIRST!

Post by entirelyturbo »

There is a staggering number of threads on this forum about sloppy shifters and how to fix them. So in hopes of preventing even more unnecessary threads from being created, I've compiled this as a reference of sorts to where all the necessary information is in one place.

So, if you're new to the forum and your stickshift Subaru has a shifter that's flopping around/has a lot of play, continue reading to find out what you need to do to fix it.

Refer to this picture from the Subaru parts catalogue (it's not great, but enough where you'll get the idea):

The parts you will need are circled in red. You'll need 2 of #11, part number 35035AA030, and 2 of #27, part number 35035KA030. That's it. Those bushings take a lot of abuse and if your shifter is sloppy, they're either starting to come apart or maybe even missing altogether, leaving a big gap between the metal parts of the shifter, a gap that translates to a shifter moving around a lot before it actually does anything.

Now, you also have the option of switching to the later-style shifter, from the 2002-2007 WRX, for example. Here's the picture from the parts catalogue:

If you switch to this style, you will need to get the entire shifter joint assembly, which is circled in red, #35046. The full part number is 35047AC030. Those same bushings mentioned before will come in this joint already assembled.

To replace these bushings is quite an undertaking if you're doing the work at home and not on a lift at a shop. You'll have to disassemble and remove the shifter from underneath the car, and usually the most difficult part is removing the roll pins (in those parts catalogue pictures as #18 and #35083, respectively). There are two roll pins, one inside the other, and you'll need a good set of punches to remove them.

Now, as I said, there are a LOT of threads with pictures and how-to guides all over this forum. I've linked to most of the best ones below:

GD/GG/GE/GH Impreza style shifter on BC/BF/BJ Legacy UPDATED

Shifter bushings... Floppy shifter questions with NEW pics*

Shifter linkage stuck.

Stock WRX shifter vs. STi SS vs. Kartboy

Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

94 FWD Legacy sloppy shifter fix with part numbers

P/N's and pic of shifter bushings (now with 56K warning)

There is A LOT of redundant information in those threads... that's how well this topic has been covered.

So, if you're new to 1st-gen Legacies, or Subarus in general, and you've got a sloppy manual shifter that you want to fix, please read through all this first before posting another thread.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sloppy shifter? READ THIS FIRST!

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice addition Michael and thanks for compiling all this together!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm