Are there any other axles that will work for the rear?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RileyD
In Neutral

Are there any other axles that will work for the rear?

Post by RileyD »

I recently converted my 1994 legacy to rwd and I know that I will be breaking axles. My plan was to go to autozone and get axles with lifetime warranty and just keep replacing them. That plan doesn't work well when they don't stock rear axles and the manufacture doesn't even make them anymore.

Are the axles cross compatible with any other model?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are there any other axles that will work for the rear?

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you still running the stock 94 legacy rear diff?

Is your legacy turbo or non-turbo?

There may be some interchangability with some of the newer Imprezas or Legacies that have the male stub axles. You would have to take the stubs out of your rear diff (I think you can do that).

Hopefully someone with a little more direct experience can chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Are there any other axles that will work for the rear?

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't have direct experience, but I do know that Subarus and Nissans share rear differential designs.

For example, the R160 that's in our cars is the same as the Datsun 510, and the R180 in the STi is the same as the L-series Datsun Zs (240Z, 260Z, some 280Zs, etc.).

I'm pretty sure the Team Orange Subaru RWD drift cars use the R200, which was in the 240SX, the 300ZX, and the R32 Skyline.

I don't know how compatible the R200 Nissan axles will be with the Subaru hubs, but I'd imagine you'd be able to find an R200 out of a 240SX pretty easily (assuming it isn't welded shut).

You'll have to do some fabwork (probably including a custom driveshaft), but then you could use 240SX rear axles, and you'd also have a significant rear diff upgrade... maybe even an LSD.

More info

Someone who's already done it
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok