4.44 swap near completion

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

andyyyy
In Neutral

4.44 swap near completion

Post by andyyyy »

So after way longer than it should have taken I am finishing my 4.44 auto swap! The threads here have been extremely helpful and I thought I would just share some of my own knowledge. All in all it is a very easy install if one has the proper tools. The transmission was by far the most tedious of the install but was not terrible. One thing is the two transmissions do use different tranny mounts. So you can either drill holes in the original crossmember to fit the new mount, or (which is what i did) was get a new member and mount from a junk yard. The mount did need to be raised slightly but it was very simple to get it to fit. Other than everything fits together very nicely and was a very fun project. New axles are needed to accommodate the rear diffs male to male style but they are not hard to find but, i have herd some imprezas and some fozzys use a weird spline count on the axles. Now everything is together but the car isn't starting up for some reason. Maybe the battery needs to be recharged or the starter might now be powerful enough for the bigger gears. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks for all the help i have received from everyone on this web site!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4.44 swap near completion

Post by Legacy777 »

Andy,

Thanks for the information.

For clarification, is your car currently automatic or manual transmission? Does the transmission and rear diff gearing match?

Can you describe what the car is doing when you try and start it up? Does the starter turn at all? The gearing should have zero affect on the starter.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
andyyyy
In Neutral

Post by andyyyy »

ok so my car is an automatic and I swapped it for a 98 sus tranny. It should be a phase 1 tranny but just to be sure i am having subaru run the serial number just to make sure. I could not find a definitive answer on the internet but maybe that would explain the car not starting up.... As for the rear i am using a rear diff off of a 98 fozzy and both have 4.44 gearing. When i attempt to start the car will crank but just not start up. It will crank hard for a few seconds then it slows for some reason. All of the lights on the dash will also fade like the battery is drained after cranking for a while. (4 or 5 seconds) It has been pretty cold here so i haven't been able to really examine the car. There is low fuel in the car so maybe some moisture got into tank.
208ss
First Gear

Post by 208ss »

charge the battery/ or jump it. does not sound like it has anything to do with the trans.
1991 subaru legacy sport sedan
208ss
First Gear

Post by 208ss »

im doing the same but i have a mt already. but im swapping a built 07 foz xt trans and 4.44 lsd rear diff. had to get all parts to do a pull to push swap.
1991 subaru legacy sport sedan
andyyyy
In Neutral

Post by andyyyy »

I have charged the battery and attempted to jump the car. Im going to get some more gas today and see what i can figure out now that it is warming up.
andyyyy
In Neutral

Post by andyyyy »

So still no luck with the car starting up. I have charged it for a few hours and tried it as well as jumped the car. I ran the serial number by subaru and it is for sure a 4.44 phase 1 as well. Every thing as far as i can tell is plugged in correctly as well. For some reason though the car will not even crank in natural. Does anyone have any idea on what would cause that?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,

What year of car did you put the trans in?

Are you 100% sure you 'seated' the TC properly? They can be tricky. If it's not seated it might cause issues....but you should have had trouble getting the flex plate to bolt up....or it'd be rubbing.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T