Rear wheels stuck in place!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Smokey-SS
In Neutral

Rear wheels stuck in place!

Post by Smokey-SS »

hey everyone this is my first post and i just want to go ahead and thank you all for the help this forum has already given me with owning my first Subaru (1993 legacy ss auto) and in advance for the input on the problem im having.

a couple days ago i was on the highway doing about 70 cruising as usual, then suddenly the rear wheels locked up and spun the car 3 times but luckily enough i was able to counter steer away from traffic and had the car towed home.

once i got home i put the fwd fuse on and was able to move the car but the rear wheels where stuck in place dragging.. i raised the vehicle from the rear and the wheels spun freely without resistance but when i lowered it i had the same locking sensation in the rear even in neutral. not sure if it is my rear diff that went out or my transmission?

luckily enough my friend sold me his 92 RHD wagon im going to swap my turbo motor into but i need to get this sedan to drive there first. does anyone know how i could disengage the rear wheels? or any idea on what the problem could be?

again thanks in advance for the help!! :D
Smokey-SS
In Neutral

Re: Rear wheels stuck in place!

Post by Smokey-SS »

what if i just remove the rear cv axles and leave the fwd fuse on? would that be a quick fix to drive it around
?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

If you remove the axles, you need to reinstall the ends in the hub to hold the bearings together.

As for whats wrong, that's a new one. Wheels spin freely in the air, but locked on the ground? Do both wheels spin at the same time in the air? Maybe the drive shaft carrier bearing or input shaft on the diff seized.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

new one...haven't heard of this!
.....You can remove the rear portion of the driveshaft ('93 should be 2-piece) - should be 4 12mm bolts on each end. With FWD fuse in U should be good....I'd make sure both wheels spin @ the same time first:
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Smokey-SS
In Neutral

Post by Smokey-SS »

I removed the driveshaft and differential and I was able to drive the car to my friends house now I am almost done with the engine swap to the rhd wagon. It was the bearing on the diff that went out. thanks for the help everybody
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Nice, good to hear.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, thanks for following up with what the problem was. Did you happen to take any pictures of the failed bearing? These rear diffs are pretty bullet proof. I wonder if you were low on fluid. How many miles were on the car?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm