JDM WRX 5 Speed into N/A Legacy

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ACVWguy
In Neutral

JDM WRX 5 Speed into N/A Legacy

Post by ACVWguy »

So the rear main bearing on my original 5 speed seized up about three weeks ago after 280,000 miles. It was odd because I had just returned from a 700 mile road trip without a hitch. It showed no symptoms of an impending failure. I came home from the trip, unloaded all of my roommates and my junk into my apartment and locked up the car. The next day, I remote started it (I installed a remote start/keyless entry/alarm system into my car last winter) and went out to the car. I hopped into the car and started picking some music when the car jolted and the engine came to a halt. I pressed the clutch and started the car again (in neutral). As I let out the clutch, it killed the engine. It was acting as if it were in gear. I put it in gear and tried letting out the clutch and the car would stumble forward and then the transmission would lock up all of the tires. The linkage was tight and the shifter would move smoothly into all of the gears. I was pissed. I assumed the worst. Shot tranny; goodbye $$$.

The next day, I tried starting the car again. Same symptoms.

The next day, I started the car and the transmission seemed to operate OK but it was making a nasty bearing groan. So I can only assume that the rear main bearing seized and after a few jolts with the clutch, it broke loose and was able to spin again.

So, I'd be needing a new tranny. I'm living in college housing and didn't have a lot of coin. I called up my dad and his diagnosis was the same as mine. I asked if he would go halvsies with me on a new/used transmission for my car. In his great charity, he agreed.

I searched all over for a replacement tranny for the car: junkyards all over the west coast, ebay, craigslist, forums, etc. I found a few candidates but they all had high miles 150K+ and not one was for sale for under $750. And, since my car is a 91 N/A, it is limited to a cable actuated push style clutch with 4.11 gears. That exhausted all of my options. Until I found a little something out.

I looked at this chart:
http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage. ... on%20Chart

Through this chart and much searching of this forum, rs25, nasioc, and google, I was able to find that pretty much any 5 speed transmission with 4.11 gears and a 1:1 reduction box would fit my car. The only issue is the clutch now. I could potentially use nearly two dozen different 5spd transmission models, so long as I can adapt the clutch.

I stumbled on a TY752VB3FA (1995 JDM WRX/STI) on ebay in Malaysia for $499 shipped from a good sized vendor with 100% a positive feedback so, after asking the seller a few questions about the condition and shipping, I bought it. After only a week, it arrived at a friends house (couldn't ship it to my apartment). I brought my car over to that friends house to work on it (he has a good sized shop).

What I found out was GLORIOUS:

After looking at several pictures of the TY752VB3FA online and comparing it with pictures of the stock TY752VA1AA, I was almost certain I could adapt the clutch to work in my car. And I was right.

LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THE TY752VB3FA TRANSMISSION IS A DIRECT SWAP INTO N/A BC/BF LEGACIES. It should also fit directly into any turbo legacy as it is a pull style transmission and it has the mounting bosses for the hydraulic slave cylinder.

All that needs to be done is:
-Remove the turbo release fork and pivot bar
-Tap the lower hole in the bell housing for the pivot ball
-Swap the pivot ball
-Swap the clutch cable mounting bracket from your N/A transmission
-Swap the release fork and bearing from your N/A transmission
-Swap the lower trans mounts from your N/A transmission
-Don't forget to fill your new trans with fresh gear oil after installation

I installed the whole setup into my car this last weekend and it transformed the car! The closer than stock gear ratios, along with the low mileage synchros make the car drive like new. Its a real hoot to drive now - the closer ratios have a little bit of a learning curve to become comfortable with again.

HOPE THIS HELPS
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: JDM WRX 5 Speed into N/A Legacy

Post by James614 »

That's great info on adapting the push style cable clutch to the pull style hydro trans. With how common low-mileage JDM transmissions are, this is definitely one of the better options if you dot mind shorter gears.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Excellent information. Posting to make this easier to find in the future.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, great info! Thanks for sharing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm