Clutch Pedal Binding issues

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Plazma
First Gear

Clutch Pedal Binding issues

Post by Plazma »

I seem to be having a nasty problem with my clutch.

When I stop on the clutch, the initial movement is extremely stiff. you have to put a lot of pressure to start the stroke.

After the initial binding is over the pedal moves relatively freely, it feels almost like a normal clutch with no problems but you can sort of feel resistance like it wants to resist.

Once you get to the bottom of the stroke just before it fully engages there's another bit of resistance.

My brain is telling me that it's the Throw out bearing, and that it's sticking on the input shaft perhaps, but I'm hoping that it's just a worn clutch (I used an aftermarket instead of OEM) cable. It's a 90MY with a Cable actuated 5MT.

Has anyone had this problem before or perhaps repaired the issue? I'm really just trying to avoid having to drop the transmission again.

edit: Just came in from checking, I disconnected the clutch cable and there's no binding in the cable, this leads me to believe either my throwout bearing became disconnected from the clutch for, or my clutch fork is somehow fouled.
rallyak
Third Gear

Re: Clutch Pedal Binding issues

Post by rallyak »

It's the cable, even when you take off the cable it feels smooth but under load it binds. I've replaced a few of these and it has never been the throw out bearing, I would buy a oem cable.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Plazma
First Gear

Post by Plazma »

Well, if it is the clutch cable like you're saying, could I theoretically run another aftermarket cable, until I had the money to pick up an OEM?
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Oem's price isn't real bad, I believe I paid around 60$-70$ for mine. You could put another after market cable in, and how long has that cable been on?
Charles

Plazma
First Gear

Post by Plazma »

6 months old.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

Did you have the same issue with the previous cable? Did the new aftermarket cable after installed make a difference. I know when I replaced both of mine on my cars, which was doing exactly as you described made a night and day difference.

If its the throw out bearing hanging you will need a tranquil kit to repair the sliding surface of the throw out bearing.
Charles

Plazma
First Gear

Post by Plazma »

I did the 4EAT swap. When the transmission was on my old Leggy it was perfect, no problems at all.

I'm going to buy the OEM cable just because I think it's just a superior product to the after market, I'm going to throw it on the car and see what happens, worst case scenario I figure out I have no choice but to drop the transmission and see what's going on. Only problem with that though is it's gotta come from Oregon to CA :\