2nd gear syncro!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubyFusion
Second Gear

2nd gear syncro!

Post by SubyFusion »

the 2nd gear syncro went on the 2.5rs trans that's in the legacy! have few questions so i can decide my next step, your input is appreciated!

First question is would it be worth getting it rebuilt? or would it be cheaper to just look for another trans? anyone know about how much it would cost to replace the syncro? and is it possible for me to do it myself?

Thanks for the help! ;-)
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
mike-tracy

Re: 2nd gear syncro!

Post by mike-tracy »

Not sure how much a rebuild would cost, but I see Wrx trannies in good shape going for 6-800,all the time.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you can get a deal on a good used trans, I'd just go that route as it's going to be a lot less work and hassle in the long run.....if you're successful and doing the work. That's just my opinion.

I had an old turbo legacy trans rebuilt and honestly I wasn't super happy. The shifting was still notchy and the syncros ground. I think some of the components just wear and only replacing the syncros wasn't enough to bring things back to "new".
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Since I've been thru transmissions I can say it's just easier swapping out the transmission. Digging into the gears is tedious work. Can get frustrating too. You need a CLEAN area to work.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
czei
First Gear

Post by czei »

My local junk yard has been great about getting inexpensive transmissions for my '93 Legacy. Just be sure to get a warranty: just this month I replaced the transmission only to discover that 3rd was busted on the "new" one. The junk yard got me a new one under warranty, so I was only out $300.

The swap is not trivial, but was completed in a couple of afternoons in my garage. What helped was getting a cheap transmission jack and extra tall car jack and tall jack stands. With truck jack stands the car was a couple of feet off the ground making it easy to work under, and the extra control of the transmission jack helped the transmission to just slide in at the right angle.