03 Outback transmission in first gen legacy?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Chrisg03
First Gear

03 Outback transmission in first gen legacy?

Post by Chrisg03 »

Hello i was wondering if anyone knew the benefits to installing a newer transmision on our first gen legacys...Assuming its the same FD ratio and has hydro clutch push type is there any difference? i notice the casing looks different especailly on the top of the tranny looks thicker and bolts on with 8 bolts instead of 4
Always open to learn
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: 03 Outback transmission in first gen legacy?

Post by James614 »

Probably biggest benefit is that the newer transmissions are newer, and less likely to have wornout synchros, bearings and seals. You can also find parts to rebuild the newer style transmissions, ive heard rebuild parts for the phase I trans are getting hard to come by.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Some people have said they're stronger, but cannot vouch for that personally. I do feel like they are smoother shifting than phase 1s. The casing is different, but no so much that you can't use them. I have an 05 rs trans in my 97 Legacy and it went in perfectly fine. Keep in mind that there is no stud for the starter so you'll need to tap the hole and use 2 bolts for it. If your car is a turbo 5mt the clutch type will be different, and the fd will be as well on the outback (3.90 v 4.11).
Chrisg03
First Gear

Post by Chrisg03 »

Okay thanks for the info
Always open to learn
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

86BRATMAN wrote:I have an 05 rs trans in my 97 Legacy and it went in perfectly fine.

Hi,
Did your speedo cable work 'as is'? Sometime around '05 Subaru did away w/the speedo gear in the trans...reads off the ABS system or TCU, I've read....

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

My second gen is sensor driven, that said I had to swap speed sensors. Mine is a 2 wire, 00-whenever is a 3 wire. The speed sensor/cable location is the same though until they stopped using an independent sensor for it.

I'm not sure exactly when they made the change to no vss of the trans, but I do know it coincides with the switch to the CANBUS system.