New tranny messing up

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Joeykaliman
In Neutral

New tranny messing up

Post by Joeykaliman »

Ok so I have a question I just put a tranny in the legacy (good tranny) but when I got to put it in first the car tries to go into reverse then park then first again every other gear works just fine when I put it in reverse grabs instantly like it should drive is a little slower to grab but does third and second work just fine to only first any ideas anyone
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Re: New tranny messing up

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Is the linkage adjusted correctly? That'd be the first place I would check.
Joeykaliman
In Neutral

Post by Joeykaliman »

We'll I drove the car I pulled the tranny out off worked just fine I installed the tranny into my buddy's car turbo legacy we got it put up and the torque converter didn't match up so we put the torque converter off the turbo tranny on my tranny and put it in the car just drivelines tranny mounts and torque converter bolts another buddy wanted to help out so I told him he could finish up we'll while hooking up tranny lines plugs and shift linkage he accidentally put ATF in the diff so I guess they drained it then put motor oil in the diff to try to flush it out idk what they we're doing but ended up draining the motor oil and filling it with gear oil idk if that would or could fuck anything up!!!!! Then when they went to put the tranny fluid in the right hole lol they put like three quarts in without it running so with all that said here are exact symptoms
While the car is in park it works as any tranny should and holds the car
While it's in reverse it grabs immediately like a normal auto would
Neutral works just like it should
Drive that's we're it's starts lol it takes a second to engage like it's slipping but then takes off normally but like it's starting in 2nd real sluggish on a turbo leggy
Second gear grabs immediately but still sluggish
When u put it on first it rolls two feet foreword then goes into reverse and rolls a few feet back word then tries to go into park I have never in my life seen a tranny do that no clunks or clicks or any bad sounds at any point in time Would shift linkage cause all that I'm thinking the slipping in drive is a air bubble or something from not having the car started while adding the first couple quarts but idk
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

No that doesn't sound like a linkage adjustment. Was the trans pan in any way bent or dented before or during the installation? If they're bent just a little they can cause problems, there isn't much clearance in there.
Joeykaliman
In Neutral

Post by Joeykaliman »

No we we're very carefull with removal and installation
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Has all the correct amount of fluid been installed?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jessman1942
First Gear

Post by jessman1942 »

Yeah im actually working with joey on this on hes in the same town as me anyhow the trans just isn't working out where swapping in a 5 speed we have already got our hands on a 93 legacy wagon 5mt trans,matching rear diff, pedals ,drive line, clutch/flywheel,clutch cable,pedal assembly,shift linkage ect ect basically everything necessary off the manual car my question is are automatics rear diff 3.9 as well? the car we are working on here is a 91 auto ss i talked my friend in to getting this car and me and joey where gonna fix it it was a great score $850 and had a nasty clunk coming for the center diff we almost made it out of Spokane but it didn't make it center diff finally let go trailer ed it home and started working on it the auto trans we ended up swapping in came out of an na 91 legacy wagon and just wont shift... Josh iv heard you have quite the wright up on a 5 speed conversion? hears some pics of it thus far ha car is in really good shape

88 Honda civic wagon B20VTEC SWAP-RIP
85 Subaru loyal sedan-SOLD
95 Subaru impreza $500 BEATER-SOLD
91 Subaru legacy SS jdm ej20g swap

CHECK OUT MY ej20G BUILD HERE>> viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53766
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It sounds like you guys have had quite the adventure :)

Yes all the turbo legacy transmissions (AT & MT) have the 3.9 final drive ratio. Here is the final drive ratio reference thread.

Here is my awd & 5spd swap write-up thread and link to the write-up.

BTW, both of these are in the drivetrain sticky thread. ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jessman1942
First Gear

Post by jessman1942 »

Thank you sir
88 Honda civic wagon B20VTEC SWAP-RIP
85 Subaru loyal sedan-SOLD