Front CV

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Purple-Rain11
In Neutral

Front CV

Post by Purple-Rain11 »

Well I bought my 92 awd turbo legacy a few weeks back. Been driving it and loving it. Swapped to some winter tires and rims the other day and noticed my passenger side cv boot is torn. tossing a bit of grease around.... didn't notice any noises or anything driving it though. My question is how long is it safe to drive like this? I just do daily driving to work and such which includes city and highway driving up to 100 kph or so. Should the whole axle be changed or could the boot just be done? Thoughts?
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Front CV

Post by James614 »

Just repack it and put new boots on booth. Since you caught it before it made noise there's probably no accelerated wear happening on it.

If you were the neglectful type you could probably drive on it until the clicking becomes unbearable.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Front CV

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll share my experience. Once the boot has been torn, even if you caught it early, there may be a chance for dirt and gunk to be in there. Years ago I had a set where the boot was torn, and the dealer cleaned, repacked the axles, and put new boots on. I had no indications of issues/noise at the time and they lasted for at least another 4-5 years. Then I started getting a very odd and completely random very bad vibration. I didn't know what it was, and when I finally replaced the axles the issue went away. So just something to keep in mind. If you don't intend to keep the car past another 4-5 years then it's probably worth just cleaning things up and putting a new boot on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm