Bell housing modification

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thekman
In Neutral

Bell housing modification

Post by thekman »

Evening all. I've been wandering through this forum for years but I've been holding off posting until ia time like this. So, let's get down to business. I bought myself a brand new sti clutch and flywheel only thinking "I've got an ej257 so these parts will bolt on nicely" not considering that they're for the 6 mt and just won't fit the old 5 mt. So in short, I shouldve done more research and thought a little straighter but here we are. Now, I've got a few options that I can choose from. I can go through the hassle of exchanging the parts for wrx ones (no), I can put on the original clutch and flywheel for the ej22t (fat chance), or, as someone mentioned in a thread about a similar topic, I can machine the bell housing on the current tranny to fit the sti parts (yeah guy). So I'm curious if anybody has actually gone that route. When I've got the engine out ill see how much clearance I need but I wanted to post just in case this coud be the worst idea I've had since buying the sti parts. I can't see it causing problems, its taking away metal from a housing so unless I grind too much and weaken it, I'm good. Any input would be appreciated very much. Thanks, Kory
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Bell housing modification

Post by cj91legss »

mike-tracy did exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe he'll chime in on this. I think he has something in his threads about it and showed some detailed photos.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi, I did this to 2 trannies now. Love it! Check towards the bottom of the page to see where I ground:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 5&start=25

Note that I had to use a phase II manual starter (02+ WRX/STI and non turbo will work) with the 6-speed clutch setup.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
thekman
In Neutral

Post by thekman »

Thank you very much. That picture is poifect. I started in on the grinding today, pretty much done. Best way to test fitment would be to put the release bearing on the fork, line up the clutch and flywheel and see if she spins freely?