5mt swap speedo questions

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HotBoxer
In Neutral

5mt swap speedo questions

Post by HotBoxer »

So I've swapped a 98lgt 5mt into my 92 turbo wagon and I'm wondering what year and model do I need to source a speedo cable from because the original one from the 92 is nowhere near long enough. Also there are three plugs coming from the new trans. I know one is reverse and one is speedo. Is the third one a neutral switch? If that's the case where would it get wired in or is it necessary?
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: 5mt swap speedo questions

Post by James614 »

Have you read Josh's swap writeup? It goes over wiring up the reverse lights and neutral switch. The neutral switch stops the car from starting without the clutch pressed and also shuts off the cruise control when the clutch is pressed. Its not needed by any means but is a good idea.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/swap.html

As for the speedo cable, i dont have an answer. Maybe someone else can chime in, i wasnt aware of different lengths. My swap came from a 93 Impreza and was the same length as my AT cable.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

The 3 wiring plugs coming from the 98 trans will be neutral switch, reverse switch, and speed sensor. 95+ legacy uses an electronic speed sensor, so you'll need to remove the vss and put your cable in there. I am pretty certain the auto cable will work just fine for you.
HotBoxer
In Neutral

Post by HotBoxer »

I'm not concerned with the neutral switch and won't be wiring it in as I have no cruise and won't be wirin in the clutch switch either. The vss I knew will come out but the cable in the auto trans plugged in near the bell housing and the vss is down near the driver side. I don't know that it will reach. It's currently at a friends house and I'll have to look closer at it today
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

The speedometer cable piece that screws into the transmission is different between AT and MT. The AT is just a small stub that screws into the trans closer to the bell housing as stated above, the MT piece is about 4-5 inches long and has a curve to it and is further away from the bell housing. Both are on the passenger side of the transmission. You can take you're electronic speedo sensor out and screw in a 5MT piece.

As far as the cable that goes from the speedo to the second piece on the transmission, I "Think" they are the same length.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
HotBoxer
In Neutral

Post by HotBoxer »

So you're saying the vss is on the passenger side and there is an adapter for the 5mt with a bend. I'll look today. My 94 wagon is 5mt and my 92 is the former auto so I helps with some reference
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Yes. I wouldn't necessarily call it the vss tho. It's just a cable.

For technicality reasons, the actual sensor is in the cluster.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

This is the cable end you need;
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can see that cable in this pic and how it screws into the transmission (5spd on the right)

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... G_7880.JPG

The AT cable will reach, that's what I did.

Regarding the neutral switch, it doesn't keep the car from starting without the clutch depressed (that's the job of the starter interlock relay). However if you don't wire up the neutral switch it will throw a check engine light.

On the AT cars the neutral switch does alter idle and faw other tweaks when in gear vs. idle. On the MT cars I don't think it really does much though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HotBoxer
In Neutral

Post by HotBoxer »

Perfect thank you. I guess I'll order that part and get the neutral switch wired in.