'loose' transmission?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

xtech210
In Neutral

'loose' transmission?

Post by xtech210 »

thats the best way i can describe it. honestly, searching google led me to a recall that sounds exactly like whats happening:

"UNDER CERTAIN LOAD CONDITIONS, THE PARK GEAR MAY NOT DISENGAGE IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE TRANSMISSION LEVER IS MOVED FROM PARK TO REVERSE."

this is pretty much whats happening. when i put it into reverse, i have to wait a good 1-2 seconds before it goes into gear. even then, it *barely* moves. i have to give it gas in order for the transmission to 'catch', and once it does, it moves as normal.

if i give it too much gas before it 'catches', my wires will squeal.

does the same thing when i shift into drive also. takes forever to shift into drive, and when it does i have to give it gas (keep the rpm at about 1000) before the tranny will catch, then i can give it 'normal' gas and the car will accelerate as normal

i was planning on doing a tune up on it in the next month, and if this is something basic (needs new tranny fluid and filter) that i can tackle, id like to add it to the list.
bcmaxx
First Gear

Re: 'loose' transmission?

Post by bcmaxx »

xtech210 wrote:thats the best way i can describe it. honestly, searching google led me to a recall that sounds exactly like whats happening:

"UNDER CERTAIN LOAD CONDITIONS, THE PARK GEAR MAY NOT DISENGAGE IMMEDIATELY WHEN THE TRANSMISSION LEVER IS MOVED FROM PARK TO REVERSE."

this is pretty much whats happening. when i put it into reverse, i have to wait a good 1-2 seconds before it goes into gear. even then, it *barely* moves. i have to give it gas in order for the transmission to 'catch', and once it does, it moves as normal.

if i give it too much gas before it 'catches', my wires will squeal.

does the same thing when i shift into drive also. takes forever to shift into drive, and when it does i have to give it gas (keep the rpm at about 1000) before the

tranny will catch, then i can give it 'normal' gas and the car will accelerate as normal

i was planning on doing a tune up on it in the next month, and if this is something basic (needs new tranny fluid and filter) that i can tackle, id like to add it to the list.
Make sure you replace the filter mounted up on inner drivers framerail. Mine is slow to engage in reverse. And has been for years. I usually put it in gear and wait a few seconds rather than rev it.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

What year ?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
xtech210
In Neutral

Post by xtech210 »

apologies, car is a 91 legacy L. i will take a video of it tomorrow because its a really strange issue.
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

did you ever figure this out as my wife's 90 is doing this now.
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
You're still around, too? :-)

This sound similar to an issue specific to the '99 OB/GT (EJ25D cars)....HERE on the USMB. May not apply but that's what I was probably thinking of a year ago, too.

There was also a thread or just a post by JC way back in time. ..... about the Torque Converter draining (?) and causing this.. There was a TSB from Subaru, IIRC....no Recall.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T