my tranny set up.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

poonhandler
In Neutral

my tranny set up.

Post by poonhandler »

Hey so i have an ej22t mated to a 98 rs tranny / rear diff. Converted the tranny to cable instead of drilling holes. (Im in a time rush because i need my car, been down for a year built with 3 cars, long story.) Any ways my old drive shafts rear u bolt doesnt match the rs yoke, and the rs drive line was out of a 2 door so its to short. So im just seeing if anyone thinks like a 98 forester or legacy whit a manual tranny would be long enough / bolt up to the rs diff. I had an 04 forester xt auto driveshaft laying around but that ones also to short but it does bolt up.. also had anyone used exedy's pro kit? Thats what i have in my car with the cable set up and its extremely hard to push in. Just seeing if this is normal since the pressure plate and friction disc is way beefier compared to the oem exedys, (came from PO) anyways thats gor any input.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: my tranny set up.

Post by TurnNburn »

since you didn't say, im assuming this is in a legacy?

Sounds like the same problem I had when I did my 5 speed swap. depending on your year range it will decide your drive shaft you needed. 90-91 and 92-94 drive shafts are the same length but the carrier bearing bolts are a few inches different.

I don't know for sure, but im pretty sure none of the newer stuff will fit.

Do you have the old diff still? if all the difference is is the yoke, you can swap that bit.

Also yeah, that's pretty normal for your clutch to feel like that, especially since you removed the hydraulic aid of the clutch master.
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
poonhandler
In Neutral

Post by poonhandler »

Sorry yeah its a 92 legacy I wish the drive shaft with serviceable otherwise I would just switch the rear u joints that up but I can't do that. I originally rent and cable and it feels nothing like this one says this one is it a lot harder to close down to tear to my old cable but like I said is this an exedy wrote that I may not the only M replacement so I wonder if that's just it. And unfortunately I ditched my old differential this car is built out of 3 cars.
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

You can swap the rear pieces off the two drivelines if you can't find the right yoke for the diff. The u joints are replaceable the part# 430-10 but needs to be done at a driveline shop. I have one in my car and it's greasable, I hope that helps you.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
poonhandler
In Neutral

Post by poonhandler »

Yea ive heard of peolle getting the u joint replaced. I just wish we could do it ourselves. But thanks for the help guys.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

RE: Clutch stiffness: Did you swap the fork pivot pin in the bellhousing from the hydro position to the cable position? If not, it would contribute to a much stiffer clutch pedal and will probably break the fork and the cable eventually.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

+1 On swapping the back halves of the drive shafts.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The front section of the driveshaft will be sized to fit either a 5 spd or AT/6MT. This will bolt to the carrier bearing position.

The rear section of the driveshaft will depend primarily on the rear diff type. The older diffs in the first gen Legacy are short so the rear section of the driveshaft is longer. The newer style rear diffs are longer so the rear section of the driveshaft is shorter. I'd recommend sticking with a second gen Legacy 5MT drive shaft as it should fit your application since you did a 5MT swap and swapped to the newer style rear diff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Josh, when I did my 6-speed swap I found that the first gen Legacy AT and second gen Legacy AT front driveshaft sections are not interchangeable as well. From memory, the front section on my second gen 5MT shaft was 31.5", a second gen AT shaft was 29", and a first gen AT shaft was 27". The first gen AT shaft I tried first for my swap was much too short to properly engage with the 6-speed.

I ended up using a '99 Legacy AT front shaft with my '99 Legacy GT's original 5MT rear shaft section. It worked great and fit like stock.

I also used a stub-style 3.90 open diff case from a 92 Legacy Turbo with an '02 WRX VLSD carrier swapped in. All three diffs were the exact same length, so my stock rear driveshaft section would've worked with any of them. By saying some of the early rear diffs are shorter, do you mean only some really really early ones?

All three of these were the same length from mounting face to driveshaft flange:
92 Legacy SS 3.90 Open
99 Legacy GT 4.11 Open
02 WRX 3.54 VLSD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmmm,

My numbers are a little different; the length of the 5mt front driveline from the end of the input shaft to the center driveline flange was 29.5 inches. This 5MT driveline came out of first gen Legacy. I got the length of the auto front driveline from the end of the input shaft to the center driveline flange to be 27 inches. I believe the auto driveline was from a second gen Legacy. The rear section of that driveshaft was 31 inches vs. 33.5 inches of the rear section of the 5MT driveshaft. I guess that is what led me to make the statement in the previous post.

So either Subaru did some funky stuff or what I thought I received may not have been from the particular vehicle I thought it was from. I'd have to dig back through my emails or PM's to find out the details. I think it was either Mike or Todd that I got the AT driveshaft from.

I've got some more pics and info in my 6spd swap thread.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49917
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

When I swapped the auto in my wife's 98 I used the transmission from the 93 auto as well as rear diff. I had to use the back half of the 93 driveline and the front half of the 98 driveline. The 98 driveline was shorter than the 93.

Just to add to the conversation.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Josh, it was on the advice of your thread and my mistaken belief that first and second gen Legacy must have the same driveshaft length that I pulled one from a first gen. :-D I'm not worried about it, but a discussion about the differences makes us all more knowledgeable.

I checked my numbers for front driveshaft length and they are right. 31.5" for my second gen 5MT front, 29" for the second gen AT front, and 27" for the first gen AT front. I am pretty sure the first gen AT was a facelift wagon, but I spent more time under it than I did looking at it. ;) I never measured a rear section because I had one that I knew worked sitting at home.

Josh, your numbers match up to mine:
AT shaft is always 2.5" shorter than MT shaft.
First gen: 27" AT, 29.5" MT
Second gen: 29" AT, 31.5" MT

Maybe the rear shaft length is different because of the driveshaft flange on the diff? Or maybe the rear diff was different on first gens between AT and MT? I did use the 02 WRX differential carrier and driveshaft flange with the 92 3.90 gears and case. With that setup, the diff was the same length as my stock '99 4.11 diff.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm....yeah I don't know why those numbers are different. The rear section of the 1st gen Legacy drive shaft regardless of MT or AT should be the same length. They all had the same rear diff type. The carrier bearing mount point on the chassis is the same and the only non-fixed object would be the transmission (AT vs. MT).

I'm not doubting your measurements, but I guess I'm a little confused as to why they are different unless the different pieces you used with the diff shifted things. I guess we need some more data :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

First to second gen front sections are different. That we know for sure. The remaining mystery is the rear diff and rear driveshaft section...
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

The rear sections are the same length. What I mentioned above, I had to swap drive shaft halves because I went from a 4eat 4.44 to a 4eat 3.90 and the flange was larger on the 4.44.

Now another legacy that is at my house that I worked on a couple years ago; Transmission went out in it and everything was 3.90 5mt.

Grabbed everything from a 1st gen legacy n/a and converted it to 4.11 I had to frankenstein those drive shafts too. 95+ front half and 91-94 rear half because of the diff flange.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Alphius wrote:I did use the 02 WRX differential carrier and driveshaft flange with the 92 3.90 gears and case. With that setup, the diff was the same length as my stock '99 4.11 diff.
Would this process work on a 4.11 rear diff?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yes, pretty much any LSD carrier can be swapped into any ratio R160 rear diff.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Must find one now.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

cj91legss wrote:Must find one now.
I has one
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.