not sure what to do with tranny...

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

xtech210
In Neutral

not sure what to do with tranny...

Post by xtech210 »

so ive got most of the quirks on my legacy worked out. only 2 problems remain: the AC and the transmission.

the tranny is the most pressing. it shifts into gears fine, albeit a little slowly from park to reverse or drive. on the road it shifts normally.

when you give it gas at normal speeds (35 - 65mph), sometimes it cannot make up its mind what RPM it wants to be in. when you give it more gas, it hooks and seems to accelerate normally. when i mash the gas and turn the power light on, sometimes it cant decide if it wants to be in a lower gear or some pass over gear, but most of the time it will hook like normally.

at stops, i have to accelerate slowly and not give it a lot of gas or ill chirp the front tires. tranny doesnt seem to hook until about 1500-ish rpm.

took it to a tranny shop who charged me 60 bucks to diagnose it, said there is internal failure(s) of some sort and wanted to charge me ~700 more to take it off and find the problem. that's not including parts.

so ive been checking ebay and other online outlets and found a few trannys. price is right, both have warranties on them, would likely be a little cheaper to replace mine with one that's already working and not have to go to the downtime of no car.

car is a 91 legacy AWD, AT, NA, EJ22 motor, non-turbo, non-abs.

if anyone has a heads up on where i can get a good reman tranny for my car, or what other trannys are a direct swap that require no other parts, id be much obliged :D
bcmaxx
First Gear

Re: not sure what to do with tranny...

Post by bcmaxx »

Few things id try first. Fluid swap and replace external filter and a band adjustment. Failing that i would upgrade. I went with a 97 leg gt tranmission and swapped the rear diff to match ratio. It works fine with the stock tcu. And is supposedly a better built tranny. I did the valve body upgrade at the same time. Its surviving 300hp happily. I went with a tranny cooler and synthetic fluid.
xtech210
In Neutral

Re: not sure what to do with tranny...

Post by xtech210 »

bcmaxx wrote:Few things id try first. Fluid swap and replace external filter and a band adjustment. Failing that i would upgrade. I went with a 97 leg gt tranmission and swapped the rear diff to match ratio. It works fine with the stock tcu. And is supposedly a better built tranny. I did the valve body upgrade at the same time. Its surviving 300hp happily. I went with a tranny cooler and synthetic fluid.
so a tranny from a 97 legacy GT will match so long as i swap in the rear diff?

also does it need to be from a 2.2 motor as well, or a 2.5?

thanks!