Shift lock system not working properly, i need help

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

maxdrive3
In Neutral

Shift lock system not working properly, i need help

Post by maxdrive3 »

Hi guys!
This is a 93 FWD Automatic Legacy
i had several years with the shift lock system not working properly, some times unlock when i depress the brake pedal; often does nothing and then i have to manually unlock it (pressing the button)

but now, i just decide... i wan tot pursuit the problem and fix it! (with your help, of course)

i just disassembled the shift lock plastics.. and i used my multimeter to figure it out that there is no voltage at the solenoid when i press depress the break pedal

so following back the chain.. i guess I should now test the solenoid relay.. am i right?

Where can i locate it?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Shift lock system not working properly, i need help

Post by PhyrraM »

There is no relay. There is a "shift lock control unit". I believe it is under the center console.

The wiring diagram (links on this board or google) will show what circuits it looks at. just check that all the inputs are working and troubleshooting should be fairly straight forward.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
maxdrive3
In Neutral

Post by maxdrive3 »

PhyrraM wrote:There is no relay. There is a "shift lock control unit". I believe it is under the center console.

The wiring diagram (links on this board or google) will show what circuits it looks at. just check that all the inputs are working and troubleshooting should be fairly straight forward.
Thanks Phy

this is the picture i have

to test all inputs, inputs would be; the key and the switch at the brake pedal right?

well the key is working fine and its solenoid and the switch at the brake pedal too, because it turns stop light on when depress

now i have to give it an eye to the shift lock control unit

could you please tell me if it is the "controller" mentioned in the picture i posted?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the controller mentioned in the picture is the control unit mentioned. It is located up under the dash. I'll be honest though, I don't think that is the problem. It is much more common for solenoids to go bad than the computers.

I would recommend you test the key interlock solenoid and shift lock solenoid separately as well as the brake switch to make sure they are working properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
maxdrive3
In Neutral

Post by maxdrive3 »

hi!
me too i dont think the controller computer went wrong

BUT, the solenoid is good, how do i know, well this is what i did YOU tell me if my test was reliable or not
i just put 12v to the terminals and it worked like a charm

regarding the key interlock... you mean the device IN THE KEY that sends the signal to the shift lock system?

how do i test that?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Check out the links in this section of my write-up.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swa ... #shiftlock

Specifically this diagram:

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... t_lock.jpg

If the component is a solenoid, apply 12v to the solenoid to make sure it works. If the component is a switch, disconnect the plug and check for continuity with a multi-meter. These tests will tell you whether the components are working or not. If everything checks out then it could be a wiring issue.

Does that make sense?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I've had this on my SVX. Many of the boxes on the SVX and Legacy function the same. Check your brake lights. The main input to the system is the brake pedal, and it uses the same power as the brake lights.

On mine it was a slightly corroded connector that plugs into the inside fuse box. Just unplugging and plugging it back in cleaned the contact enough for the brake lights and the shift lock to work again.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack