Hydraulic clutch into a 99GT sedan during a 5 speed swap

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Baulde
First Gear

Hydraulic clutch into a 99GT sedan during a 5 speed swap

Post by Baulde »

I am in the middle of swapping a JDM 5 speed from my old 91T Legacy into a auto 99GT limited sedan.
The 91T was a full 5 speed swap long ago and used a 05 sti pedal set and hydraulic clutch. I had to build a small adapter plate to get the pedal set to fit into the 91 legacy.

There are 7 bolt holes to put this pedal set in. 4 around the brake booster push rod. Then 3(2 for a automatic, or cable pedal set) along the top that bolt into a support above the steering column. Two right above the brake and clutch, and then one to the right.

While the 91T had the extra bolt support to the right of the steering column(worked with the adapter) the 99 GT does not have this extra support. Its simply empty space with a wiring harness passing through the area.

Now the question is, has anyone put a hydraulic clutch into the second gen legacy? Did you fabricate a bracket? Or just left that 3rd bolt empty. I could see it working without that 3rd bolt but would allow a lot more flex in the clutch system if not supported.

Wondering if anyone has come across this, if they found a solution or just bolted it up and left that 3rd bolt support hanging?
mike-tracy

Re: Hydraulic clutch into a 99GT sedan during a 5 speed swap

Post by mike-tracy »

The manual 2nd gen GT comes with a hydraulic setup stock. It would be a bolt in affair if you could find a pedal set from a 97-99 LGT or 97-99 manual outback. I don't remember exactly what the differences are in the different pedal sets but there are obviously some compromises when using pedals from a different model.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Did that manual GT come with additional support for the hydraulic clutch?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Im not familiar with an 05 STI pedal set so I can't say if it has "additional support for the hydraulic clutch." It is a way different pedal set than what my cable clutch 98 Impreza had, however. I have a 98 Outback with a 5mt, same pedals as the 97-99 LGT, and can take pics if you'd like.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Ill have to take some photos of what is going on in there. The 05 pedal set worked in the 91, but the lack of support in the 99 will be an issue. Have to build a support or figure out how to adapt it.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Unable to take photos at the moment, but this picture shows the bolt/support that is missing in the 99GT. This should be there for any hydraulic clutch setup? Or were the manual 2500 different from the automatics. Seems odd my 99 GT is missing this support.

This was taken from a 1999 service manual pdf.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Just like this set I found on google, the bolt hole on the right side that is right above the gas pedal.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yep, looks like mine has it too. I know the wiring harnesses are slightly different between auto and manual, perhaps there is a threaded hole hiding behind your wiring?
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Definatly not, its kind of a large space. With just the wiring harness passing by. I compared it to my 91T and it is definatly missing that support. On yours can you tell if that support is welded to the frame? Or could it be removed from the car and put into another? Or will it require a zip disc and welder to do.

Otherwise I could look into fabing some kind of support in the area
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be fine without it. When I did my AWD & 5spd swap my 90 Legacy did not have a spot for that hole on the pedal assembly. You can see in these two pictures I don't have anything in that spot.

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

You did not find any noticible flex in the system?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nothing that was appreciable to cause any issues or improper/poor clutch feel. I did this swap back in 2004 and it's been fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Great, thanks for the information mike-tracy and Legacy777. Ill look into fabing a brace in that area, but won't worry about it too much if its more work than necessary. At least I can keep plugging away at this swap + head gasket repair.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah in my pic you can see a painted white bracket/piece it is attached to. I tried reaching around to see how the painted piece is attached to the body, but unfortunately I can't without removing wiring and insulation. I'll bet that piece is removable, and you could retrofit it to your car.

But consider this, what if that piece is for BD/BG specific hydraulic pedals and your STI pedal box doesn't fit with it installed? Just a thought.

I'm with Legacy777 that you don't necessarily need that support fastened there. But if you do, I'd recommend getting that painted bracket and a 2nd gen legacy hydraulic brake/clutch box.
Baulde
First Gear

Post by Baulde »

Well, the 05 set did not fit into the 91T straight up. That 3rd bolt hole was slightly out of alignment, and about 1/4" space/gap behind that support. But I made an adapter plate and then it worked great with full support untill I retired the car. If that part was removeable and I could bolt it to the car, the modification would be pretty minor to get things lined up. Vs welding up a custom support to match the stock one I expected to see. I have a feeling it will end up free floating as shown in Legacy777's photos.
I even had a 97GT with hydraulic clutch. I think I have the pedal set somewhere, but now I want the shell for that support piece