Clutch parts...who makes the strongest and most reliable?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

Clutch parts...who makes the strongest and most reliable?

Post by WRXish »

Looking for some advice on who makes the best clutch parts including the ever important throw-out bearing and pilot bearing. This will be a NA 2.5 liter engine in a 91 legacy. Looking at probably 200 hp at the crank. The cost of the parts is secondary to the hassle of pulling the engine to replace a premature parts failure. The labor to do that is in my mind excessive, so I want a clutch assembly that will last the life of the engine...I hope. Maybe you can weigh in on this one Josh. Thanks in advance.
mike-tracy

Re: Clutch parts...who makes the strongest and most reliable

Post by mike-tracy »

Oem is the best, hands down. Year before last I pulled the original 240k mile clutch off my 00 rs. Clutch disc had meat left, throw out and pilot bearings were still serviceable. Reason I pulled it was the pressure plate didnt provide enough grip anymore. I bought all new oem parts, and resurfaced the flywheel and was good to go. I ended up swapping that setup into my outback, and im sure ill get many more years of use out of it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm with Mike in that I would recommend Subaru parts. The one exception you should look into is the tranquil throw out bearing & sleeve. It provides a near wear surface for the bearing as the aluminum snout can get grooved over time and cause shudder and misalignment. Check out the link below. Also, depending on the condition of the flywheel, if cost isn't too much of concern you could replace vs. resurface.

http://www.pdmusa.com/OrderStorm-ecomme ... age/Subaru
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Ok guys thank you for your input. You have made the decision making in this process much simpler. U guys ROCK! :)
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

My sleeve kit really improved clutch pedal feel, because the TOB slides so much more smoothly, but the TOB itself has been squeaking for awhile now. Probably has 50-60k on it.

I've used a lot of exedy and act clutches. The exedy stock replacment stuff is not very expensive and I'm pretty sure they make the oem parts anyway..