drivetrain noise, please help!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93wagonship
First Gear

drivetrain noise, please help!

Post by 93wagonship »

hi guys,

my 1993 BF wagon 4wd have developed an annoying drivetrain noise most audible from 60 mph (100 km/h) and up.

the noise appears to come from the transmission and is not related to RPM

in the video below it is possible to hear (like a saw working in the wood shop)

when the clutch pedal is depressed, the noise becomes worst (did it several times by the end of the video - loud noise followed by clutch pedal squeaks)

the noise began soon after a head gasket and clutch job, but the mechanic say it's unrelated and wants to charge another $700 to open the transmission and inspect the bearings

please help!

cheers

https://youtu.be/_LuoOZz4oi8
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
93wagonship
First Gear

Re: drivetrain noise, please help!

Post by 93wagonship »

just in case: what else is wrong with the car? not much

engine is running superb

got a rear rubber bushing 20251AA000 in need for replacement for some time now

axle seals leaking, but keep checking transmission/centre diff fluid

everything else is Ok
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

It sounds like the throw out bearing, was it replaced when the clutch was replaced?
(Edit)
I listened to it again and it sounds deeper than that, it is speed dependent like a shaft bearing, or diff bearing.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Thkx man, yep new tob (exedy clutch kit). And it doesn't seems to be the problem. Yes, it's speed related (from about 50 mph on).

Anyway to calm that noise down a little? Change the diff fluids or use mOs2 (like liquymoly)?

Depending on how much it wil set me back, I'm selling the car as is, unfortunately cannot diy.
marsh27
First Gear

Post by marsh27 »

My old 93 did the same thing when I replaced the clutch. I knew it was the tob but I sold it before I billed the tranny back out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 fwd beater wagon
93 tw build in progress
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Hope deeply it's just the tob. Maybe the guy just didn't lube the shaft properly...
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Today I've managed to suck about a quarter of transmission/front diff excess oil. Now the dipstick read F again. Washed underneath to see if the leaking axles will stop leaking.

I was observing the job, the guy also inverted the heater hoses (upper / lower) which I've managed to undo. Also, he used RTV in the valve cover gasket, wtf? Well, I'm not going back there anyway.

Cheers
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Well I've had a professional to diagnose this and most likely bearings inside the transmission / differential. Will not fix it now though.