Phase 1 JDM 4EAT into 93 SS?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

monkeyposeur
First Gear

Phase 1 JDM 4EAT into 93 SS?

Post by monkeyposeur »

My 93 SS is getting up there in years. I am considering buying a donor WRX and doing a full swap so I can tune it, and update all the wiring. It's my wife's DD, and she prefers having the 4EAT so there is no chance of swapping in a 5MT, which I would prefer since it's fairly easy and 5MTs are super cheap.

However, I found a complete 93-94 EJ20G w/4EAT on ebay for about $1k. It appears to have the engine wiring harness and trans harness. Trans code is TZ102YB3AA, and it's hard to find any info on it. I think it requires the 4.11 rear diff (not included).

Obviously the WRX swap is ideal in a lot of ways, but also a lot more expensive. If I could purchase this package for about $1k it would be a pretty cheap upgrade.

I have been having some issues with the 4EAT in my SS (mainly duty C solenoid and possible TCU issues) and it would be nice to be able to swap in the JDM one if it would work.

I haven't been able to find any JDM 4EAT wiring diagrams to compare to the USDM 4EAT wiring.

The EJ20g included looks clean enough to eat off so I could possibly swap that in as well. I'm doing my research on the feasibility of that and it seems like it is doable with not too much trouble.

Has anyone here heard of or had any experience with using a JDM phase 1 4EAT in a USDM SS with good results?
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
mike-tracy

Re: Phase 1 JDM 4EAT into 93 SS?

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't have any personal experience, but I remember someone talking about installing a JDM phase 1 vtd transmission on the board. Usdm NA trannies work if you buy this and find out your TCU won't control it properly. $1k for an engine and trans is a decent deal. I really liked my old ej20g setup except for the fact it was a total dog out of boost. Would probably be worse on an auto.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

From my memory (and it's been a while), the VTD trans should drop in if you have the matching TCU and rear diff. However, you can search out VTD swaps for the SVX for greater clarification. Since the SVX was never offered in manual, the sportier auto swaps are much more discussed on that platform.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
monkeyposeur
First Gear

Post by monkeyposeur »

Cool, thanks for the info guys. The stock trans is working pretty good at the moment, and shifts just fine. It started to make a bit of noise near the front of the bellhousing so I was thinking it might be a TQ converter bearing or something squeaking. It only makes noise at idle and other than that works great.

The VTD swap was interesting. If I could find the JDM tcu it would be easy, but so far I haven't been able to find one.

If you read my previous thread about the duty C solenoid issues I was having you would read that I had the POWER light flashing the Duty C code. I swapped that out with a new one (superceded part) but still had the flashing and TQ bind. After swapping in an NA TCU there is no more flashing or TQ bind but the shift maps are different. It's not bad, and in POWER mode the shifts are actually pretty cool, the only potential issue is you can bounce of the rev limiter, lol.

I think I will just run it as it is until it breaks, and go from there. In the meantime I can decide if I want to do the WRX swap or maybe get a 20g and swap everything over onto the 22T block.

Mike, what do you mean it was a dog out of boost? Do you mean before the turbo spooled up or after the turbo ran out of breath? If I want to use all 20g parts with the 22T block and keep the wasted spark setup it should work just fine with the 22T ecu, right? Then maybe I could just get a Robtune. I'm not in a hurry to decide, but just exploring options. WRX swap would be ideal though, then I could build another 22T/205 hybrid with a 16 or 18g and a high stall TQ converter and modified valve bodies.
93 SS - SOLD
03 WRX 22T/205 20GXT 350 whp
06 OBXT
95 BK - Sold to my neighbor.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

It was slowish to spool, but on boost the dohc heads were amazing. Out of boost you might as well be driving an early 90s Kia for all the throttle response and lag it gave.

I think your plan of using the 22t bottom end is a good one, that added displacement bump will solve the problems I mentioned.

The stock 22t ECU will run your proposed hybrid engine nicely as long as you swap the 22t manifold harness, coilpack, and injectors over. Happily they fit the 20g fuel rails.

I ran a full ej20g engine (with 22t injectors and ej22t ECU and a vf11) for a bit till I saved enough for the Robtune, ignition converter and ej20g ecu that were needed. It felt fine, like a bone stock car should. Little bit less bottom end and a little more top end than an ej22t, as expected.. Once I swapped electronics and to a TD05 is when my impression of the 2.0L bottom end changed for the worse lol. Other than in boost, where it was fantastic.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.