New Engine...need a new clutch...help me pick

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

New Engine...need a new clutch...help me pick

Post by WRXish »

Ok, some of you may be following the project wrxish as it progresses. I have just taken delivery of the second engine within a year after the first one developed a rod knock after about 6k miles.

This new powerplant has some serious beans and the 6000 mile clutch cant hold the new engine. Normally aspirated so it isnt but just so crazy. No more than 200 at the crank I am sure. So whats the hot tip for 98 ej25d into a first gen 5 speed tranny clutch wise? I had the factory 98 outback clutch in it and its not doing the job...maybe its a bad one or who knows? I want to do this once....and only once. HELP!!!!
mike-tracy

Re: New Engine...need a new clutch...help me pick

Post by mike-tracy »

Find out what it takes to run an 06-07 WRX clutch with your trans. I believe you buy the whole clutch kit and flywheel, and 06/07 wrx clutch fork and that's it. Alphius documented what he did, on the BBS.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

ok Mike, nice idea in principle, but I am trying to stay with the cable operated clutch and not make the change to hydraulic...if I am not mistaken, arent all the wrx clutches hydraulic and they become the push type instead of the pull type like the cable type is?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The 06-07 WRX clutch is the same style as NA. Alphius used that setup with his stock n/a trans and it held his "ej225" with a maxed out TD04 just fine. As far as using that with a clutch cable, I'm not sure. I feel like your pressure plate might be trashed, since I've seen stock n/a clutches holding up to an eg33. I would personally go with an exedy HD pressure plate, if available.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

:| Thanks for the info Mike...I will be looking it over closely when the old one comes out...and hopefully getting the solution right based on your advice. I bought dealer parts the last time and cant say im happy with how that turned out. So we will pursue your recommendations. I found a local shop that comes recommended to do the work. I just dont have it in me to pull the engine out again this year...I just cant do it. Tired of fooking with it.