Question Referring to oem chassis holes

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Sickles01
In Neutral

Question Referring to oem chassis holes

Post by Sickles01 »

Referring to oem chassis holes. More specifically, the pre-drilled holes for the clutch master cylinder in first gen legacy wagons.
I've noticed that the holes that were present in my 95 Impreza wagon to mount the clutch master cylinder, are non-existent in both my (91 Legacy wagon L manual) and my (93 Legacy wagon L Auto). In my 91 I recently did a swap that entailed a hydraulic clutch conversion. This confused me because my Impreza in which i did a similar conversion already had the holes present. where as in my 91 I had to do some drilling of my own. I used a petal box from a GD chassis Forester that also needed retrofitting.

My question is why the holes for the clutch master are not in my wagons? I know that turbo manual legacy's had hydraulic clutches, but i also know that they never made a first gen turbo legacy wagon that was in fact manual is this the reason for the lack of hole? maybe we will never know why. But it would be nice to know which cars are easily converted and which are not.
IE do all sedans have the holes? Do only SS's have the holes? is it a base model thing?

The other question is when I go to manual swap this 93 legacy what petal box should I use in order to allow for a better fit? I know that a GC petal box isnt the same maybe that would be more ideal? does a manual turbo legacy petal box bolt in? is it the same as something else?

So far I know this
91 Subaru Legacy wagon Man L is cable clutch and requires drilling for Hydro conversion
93 Subaru Legacy wagon Auto L requires drilling for hydro clutch conversion
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question Referring to oem chassis holes

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know if I can say for certainty, but it's my best guess/suggestion at this point. If I had to take a guess you would find pre-drilled holes in the 91-94 Legacy sedans only because the north American turbo legacy on received a manual trans in the sedan version. My 90 Legacy sedan did not have pre-drilled holes because it was one model year before the turbo was offered.

With all that being said, if you're doing an AT to MT swap drilling some holes in the firewall is not a huge deal. I have a template on my write-up that should make it very straight forward.

There are three different formats, CAD, PDF, & JPG. As long as you print them out and the 4-1/2" measures accurately the scale is correct.

https://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/sw ... drivetrain

Regarding the pedal box, the 91-94 turbo Legacy pedal box had one mount point that did not have a support/mount point present. But other then that it bolted in fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Sickles01
In Neutral

Re: Question Referring to oem chassis holes

Post by Sickles01 »

Yeah Drilling holes isn't a big deal. I figured the Legacy SS petal box would be a better fit. Finding one on the other hand. Ill probably modify a GD pedal box again. Way easier to find. I didn't know if there was a work around or something easier to modify. Thanks bunches.