stuck in park when shifter is in the neutral position

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Garbels90
In Neutral

stuck in park when shifter is in the neutral position

Post by Garbels90 »

okay so i just got a 91 turbo leggy and the guy i bought it from had it sitting for two years but claims to have started it up every now and again to keep everything moving.

Now i had this car running and driving around when i bought it but when i parked it in the driveway the car is wouldn't start anymore but would turn over. Now i always had to put the car into neutral to get the car started because it would not start in the park gear. I would have to push the override button on the base of the shifter to move the shifter from park to neutral. Now i can still do that but the car just turns over and wont start and the transmission stays in park even though the shifter is in the neutral position.
How do i know that? Well im trying to shift the car into neutral so i can roll the car out of the way of my RS but when i push on the car you can feel the transmission preventing the car from rolling.

Any ideas? Most people say its that shifter solenoid but i can hear the click from under the dash when i press the button on the shifter (not the black button on the base of the shifter) (That one doesn't make any noise)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: stuck in park when shifter is in the neutral position

Post by Legacy777 »

The shift lock system will prevent the starter from turning over unless the gear selector is in park or neutral. If the engine is turning over then the shift lock system is working properly. If the car is not moving then it's possible the [url-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl]parking pawl[/url] is broken. Or it could be possible that the cable going to the inhibitor switch may be bad and is not moving the selector on the side of the transmission. I'd suggest putting the car on jack stands and looking at the inhibitor switch mechanism while someone moves the gear selector.

I don't know if the engine not starting is related due to the transmission issue you are having.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm