Automatic transmission swap to a manual transmission year 2004

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

Automatic transmission swap to a manual transmission year 2004

Post by thatsme87 »

I have a question on swapping transmissions. Ive been looking at swapping out my automatic transmission for a manual transmission in my 2004 Subaru legacy outback. It has a 2.5l sohc engine in it that's got a really bad rock knock and so i going to take the engine out and replace it, so i wad thinking when i do that i could change out tube transmission as well. Ive never done this before and i am a little worried about the problems i will encounter and if i have to change it the rear end as well? Or if i need to change out the computer for the engine and tube cam shaft pulleys? And if i would need to jumper any of the electrical pins for the transmission? Any info would be amazing.
mike-tracy

Re: Automatic transmission swap to a manual transmission year 2004

Post by mike-tracy »

Josh made a write-up on how to do the swap here:
viewtopic.php?t=18370

Mechanically the information should be about the same, but electronically you'll have to hit up a site like sl-i.net, which deals with newer legacys such as yours.

When you go through to Josh's write-up, instead of using 1990-1994 legacy parts (such as driveshaft, pedal set, etc) use those parts from a 3rd generation legacy instead.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.