Speedometer Cable

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scypher45
In Neutral

Speedometer Cable

Post by scypher45 »

My speedometer has stopped working. I am assuming it is my speedometer cable however I have not taken anything apart to find out what has actually broken.
What can I do to rectify this? Of course I can use a GPS speedometer however it is my understanding that the ECU should have speed data from the VSS. Plus I would really prefer a working gauge cluster.
The problem is how many parts are discontinued and impossible to find for these cars. Does any one have a spare that they can sell me?
Is there any sort of retrofit that I can do? Any advice would be appreciated.

To make it worse my fuel gauge is not working either so I was using my trip meter to judge how much fuel I had left.
My Fuel gauge has not worked since I got the car, I picked up a gas tank from a parts car and I am hoping that the sending units in that are working. Does anyone know an upgrade or replacement for them? Just trying to treat this touring wagon like it deserves!
mike-tracy

Re: Speedometer Cable

Post by mike-tracy »

Is your car an automatic? If so, you can still get the part that threads into the transmission:

1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
scypher45
In Neutral

Post by scypher45 »

The previous owner swapped in the 5 speed from an 04 wrx.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Have you heard about the FL4T Tlegs Facebook page? It's pretty busy and maybe you could put a "Want to buy" ad for a cable. Turbo and NA 5 speed cables are the same, or at least interchangeable

You could also check if the cable came loose from the transmission or the back of the gauge cluster.
scypher45
In Neutral

Post by scypher45 »

I don't have Facebook but my wife has an account for the marketplace so I can probably try with that. Thanks for the info, I am planning on checking to see if it just came loose any where.
Any advice on the fuel sender/gauge?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Under the rear seat is 1 or two plates that cover the fuel pump and fuel level sensor. You'll want to spend some time digging through the service manuals to see the troubleshooting procedures.

Here's a link to all that:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14485
scypher45
In Neutral

Post by scypher45 »

I guess I should have been more specific. If they have failed and can not simply be repaired or cleaned to work what can I do? Is it possible to retrofit o e from a newer subaru?

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Check the service manuals. They're going to have a troubleshooting procedure, something along the lines of checking for OHM values.

The BBS is dead, so you gotta make a decision on whether you want to join the facebook page, where the knowledge base is significantly less than here, but people actually congregate. Or spend your time searching and digging through this website, with no help because everyone has moved on. But there is an enormous amount of knowledge, you just gonna have to do the legwork.
scypher45
In Neutral

Post by scypher45 »

Okay thank you I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will join the fb group.

It's too bad this forum is dead. My first 2 cars were 93 legacy and I absolutely fell in love with them. That was over a decade ago and now that I finally have a touring wagon like I always wanted the community has past.

"There are dozens of us, dozens!!!"