How do I completely remove the stupid hill holder?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

How do I completely remove the stupid hill holder?

Post by OTTERMATIC »

I’ve finally gotten my car all back together, it’s running and driving fine, but the hill holder is getting stuck on every hill. The brakes get stuck on and I can’t get the car to move forward or backward at all. I’ve just come back from being stuck on a hill where I pissed off everyone behind me at the light, and had to call my brothers and dad for help. I hate the stupid hill holder. It’s never worked. I was rolling back on every hill before I rebuilt everything, so I got used to using the handbrake to get started. Now it “works” and sticks on every hill and prevents me from going anywhere without going under the hood and repeatedly pushing the spring every few feet so I can roll it.

I do not need it, I do not want it to keep getting me stuck.

But I can’t find anything online on how to do this. The FSM is awful on this, it doesn’t show any clear pictures or directions for fixing this. How do I completely remove it or make it so the damn thing doesn’t keep stranding me on hills?
OTTERMATIC
In Neutral

Re: How do I completely remove the stupid hill holder?

Post by OTTERMATIC »

Update: I figured it out! The hill holder cable, which I thought was used to make the clutch fork return, well, isn’t needed. I discovered the clutch returns on its own. The hill holder cable is not required for normal clutch operation. Now with it removed, my car is fully able to drive as expected!

Next week, I’ll be taking it in for emissions and HOPEFULLY, this will be the time it passes.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I completely remove the stupid hill holder?

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad you got it sorted out. Yeah, you can remove the entire hill holder cable if you don't want it. I couldn't tell you how to properly adjust it....this is something that carried over from the 80's Subarus. My Dad's old GL wagon had it in there. Made learning how to drive a manual transmission in the Seattle area better :) My mom's truck at the time didn't have a hill holder so I got pretty good with starting on hills without using the ebrake.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm