WRX Front Axles Issues

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pumkinatorp
In Neutral

WRX Front Axles Issues

Post by pumkinatorp »

Hey guys, longtime lurker and first time poster. Needing some help choosing correct front axles for my 93SS. It's swapped with the tranny out of an 05 WRX after the original manual blew out second gear. Did the swap about a year ago and ended up with a saab 9-2x diff, custom driveshaft using parts from the leggy's and 05 wrx, and 05 wrx axles all around. The rear axles went in without a hitch and have held up without any tears or leaks. The same couldn't be said for the fronts. They were a pain in the ass to get in and hardly fit. Both blew out after about 500 miles. I did some research and learned that the Impreza WRX's track width increased by something like an inch after 2002. Thought this could explain the difficulty with the axles and the short lifespan. If they're simply too long for the legacy chassis, what options do I have in terms of female to female front axles? Thank you for any and all help.

Also here's a pic of her for attention.
pumkinatorp
In Neutral

Re: WRX Front Axles Issues

Post by pumkinatorp »

Correction: Male to male front axles. Not female to female.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome first time poster :)

The WRX did get a wider track in 2002 for the sedan, but not the wagon. So if you can find wagon specific axles they should be the same track/width. You could also possibly look at the non-turbo models since they won't be the larger width as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pumkinatorp
In Neutral

Post by pumkinatorp »

Legacy777 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:15 pm Welcome first time poster :)

The WRX did get a wider track in 2002 for the sedan, but not the wagon. So if you can find wagon specific axles they should be the same track/width. You could also possibly look at the non-turbo models since they won't be the larger width as well.
Thanks will check that out!