Forester Flat 5-Spokes Installed

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Forester Flat 5-Spokes Installed

Post by evolutionmovement »

I need to get some pictures to post but I work from 8:30-21:00 and the weather has sucked. I won't complain about having to work, just stating an excuse for not posting pics yet.

They look f'n great! I got Kumho ECSTA 711s ($53/ea from TireRack) in 205 50s and they're pretty damn nice for the price.

I was going to strip the clear coat and goldish paint off the insides of the spokes, but got impatient at my indecisiveness on color and threw them on. No need to paint.

The only thing I liked about my old wheels better is that they don't tramline at all - they tracked perfectly straight (even with the warp). I'm thinking of doing a spec of toe-in on the front to counter it. Other tghan that, the new tires grip harder than the decent Yokohama 550s, are MUCH quieter (the Yokos howl in corners), but drift like the Falken 512s I had (the mostly superior Yokos would hold a turn better, but weren't as conducive to oversteer). The tread pattern is similar to the Falkens. Just as importantly I have zero ride quality loss, just a smidge better turn in from the larger wheels. My poor abused brakes don't shake like before either. Hell, my speedometer even seems more accurate.

The old wheels were 40+ offset with 195/60 15s and filled the car's wheel wells out perfectly. The Foresters tuck in a little bit more on the back (like OEM). I don't think I could fit 215s without a different offset on these wheels. These look bigger than 16" on the car, almost too big, but I'll get used to it. I've already gotten several compliments (including my boss) with nobody realizing they were OEM Subaru wheels.

Thanks to those who dammed my torque-thrust style I was going with before with faint praise and to Ford for putting a similar style on the guppy-style Taurus and completely turning me off them.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Forester Flat 5-Spokes Installed

Post by scottzg »

evolutionmovement wrote:guppy-style Taurus
Steve
LOL i know which one youre talking about.

sweet. Need pics!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

pics!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

I'd like to know if the Forester 16" wheels will clear WRX front brakes.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

they should, same size width and offset. right?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I hope they clear, too, but I guess I'll find out. Anyway ...

The antenna was up so I could listen to the Patriots beat Seattle.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

looks great, I want some of the new Forester XS and XT wheels.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

evolutionmovement wrote:The antenna was up so I could listen to the Patriots beat Seattle.

Aye!!! :x
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm not as big on those, but they're not bad. It seems to me the Forester got the best looking wheel options. I wonder why that is.

Finding those newer wheels would be difficult (unless you go to the dealer) and expensive.

Art - I wrote that comment for you! :lol:

Steve
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

looks like a blue version of my dads car a year ago. :lol: looks great!
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I figure anywhere from 300-500 for a set. Not too bad but eh, I'd still rather have some 98 RS or 05 GT wheels.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Wow, those look fricken awesome Steve! I had those same wheels on my 98 Forester S and always wondered how they'd look on my SS but I never thought they'd look that good! :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Steve, Duchess looks great with those! I was thinking steelies at first, but those look even better!

I put a car through its paces a couple weeks ago with Kuhmo Ecsta's (512's I think, not sure), and I was amazed at how well they grip. My car woulda slid right off the road as fast as I was driving that car.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm pretty sure that I can clear bigger brakes easily as there's about an inch in diameter and, I don't know, a fair amount of space between the spoke and caliper depth-wise. I'm not worried about it.

Thabnks for all the positive comments, I really love how it looks now. The problem is that the thing is too damn slow now without the old bent rims shaking me into thinking I'm going faster.

Steve
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Patience Steve, patience. That turbo will be on there soon enough ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

[Mr. Myagi] Steviesan have no patience. No patience, karate bad. Steviesan no good karate, want fast car instead, get squashed just like grape. [/Mr. Myagi]

Steve
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Wow! Those things look SWEET!

Good choice Steve. What's next on the agenda?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

WRX front brakes and when I can afford it (after knocking down some debt), I'll finish that headlight and grille project. Incidentally, sanding the inside of the headlights down seems to be going pretty well. The problem will be the bottom edge as the cover angles inwards and makes it hard to get a sander close.

Steve
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

evolutionmovement wrote:WRX front brakes and when I can afford it (after knocking down some debt), I'll finish that headlight and grille project. Incidentally, sanding the inside of the headlights down seems to be going pretty well. The problem will be the bottom edge as the cover angles inwards and makes it hard to get a sander close.

Steve
Not to hijack, but can I ask why you're sanding the inside of the lens?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

to get rid of the fluting so he can stick in some better beams.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's it. I'm putting Hella low and high beams behind the (by then) clear covers.

Steve
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Cool
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

evolutionmovement wrote:I hope they clear, too, but I guess I'll find out. Anyway ...

The antenna was up so I could listen to the Patriots beat Seattle.

Steve
Yes I'm reviving a dead thread in hopes of having the pics resurrected.
I'm considering some flat 5s from a foresster for my 94 and I'd like to know what they look like before I put out the money for them
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's at the top of the page in the revolving pics - the blue wagon. Here's the only photo with those wheels that I can find. The car's been in the garage for 2 years and isn't moving anywhere so I can't get any new shots.

internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

would you believe me if I told you that it is the pic at the top when I just clicked this to read it now.
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99