2007 WRX Brake Swap

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Soobster
First Gear

2007 WRX Brake Swap

Post by Soobster »

I'm planning on upgrading the brakes on my 91 wagon and I was wondering if the calipers from the brand new WRX models will fit. The new subaru models have the cool red powder-coated calipers. They look a little larger than previous WRX front calipers.

What's the scoop?
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You'll probably need calipers and rotors to fit. Unless you have rotors that match the new 2007 calipers already...

::EDIT:: Damn you spelling.
Last edited by Manarius on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

Manarius wrote:You'll probably need calibers and rotors to fit. Unless you have rotors that match the new 2007 calibers already...
Caliber? Isn't that a Dodge?

FWIW the 06+ WRXes have 17" wheels, so the new brakes probably won't fit under the 16" ones.
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

They will fit under 98-01 RS wheels, which are 16"
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Aren't the 06+ WRX front brakes the 4-pots that have been around overseas for a long time? The rest of this post rests on that premise.

They'll fit 16" wheels as long as the wheels are wide enough. The wheels that came on 02-05 WRXes aren't, but others (like the ones on 2.5RSes) are. You have 02-05 WRX wheels, yes? So you'll need bigger wheels.

And as Manarius says, you need the bigger brake rotors used on 02-on WRXes.

You also need the correct pads for these brakes. I don't know if they're the same as any other model's.

So if you get wheels, rotors, and pads, you can use these calipers. Your car will likely stop much better.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

You will also need the caliper brackets.
vrg3 wrote:Your car will likely stop much better.
this is a fallacy.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I thought the 4-pots didn't have separate brackets.

I'll yield to Scott's understanding of what affects brake efficacy.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 4-pot fixed calipers do not have caliper brackets.

As for stopping better. The main thing the 4-pot fixed caliper provides is better brake feel, which inspires more braking confidence, as well as more evenly distributed brake force on the pads.

Those things will more then likely help the car stop better.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I was thinking of the increase in rotor diameter and thickness rather than the change in caliper type.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

To get the rears to work takes a bit more work. Well, actually just a kartboy adapter, but they don't bolt on in any case. You could also have new backing plates pressed on.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

There is no change in thickness of "4-pot" rotors. It's the same 24mm as the majority of front rotors.

As far as stopping better, depends on what is meant by better. If you mean shorter distances most likely not. There would be especially no difference between turbo fronts, overall a net waste of money.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd have to disagree with you hardy. The main reason is pad compound.

Most people that would be upgrading from stock turbo legacy brakes probably have an "OEMish" type brake pad, which more or less sucks.

If you're going to buy a set of 4-pots/2007 wrx brake setup, I would hope you use a good set of pads. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but even if....I would think OEM wrx pads are better then OEM turbo legacy pads.

Just to add to the brake pad discussion. I drove a friend's 2006 outback LL Bean, which have the massive front brakes. The brakes felt like poo and didn't stop too well when I got on them at about freeway speeds down to city road speeds. My car stops much quicker, and has much better brake feel.

So I definitely agree with you that bigger is not always better. As I mentioned above, the 4-pots will provide better pedal feel, and more even brake force distribution.

I still feel that if you had 4-pots & stock t-legacy calipers with the same pad compound, the 4-pots will stop in a shorter distance (probably not too much shorter though), and provide better pedal feel & braking confidence. Is that worth the money? To each is his own, and that's something anyone looking at this brake upgrade will have to decide.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

You could upgrade brake pads on turbo brakes and still come out way ahead in the money department with similar performance, so that's not really a point to be made.

Also 05+ Outbacks only have 294x24mm rotors up front, and 274x10mm rotors in the rear. Nothing too massive, 02-05WRX size to be exact.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i also suggest starting w/better pads. if that doesnt do what you are looking for then check out swapping calipers.

of course that assumes you are looking to improve the performance.

if all you are going for is looks then go ahead and swap the new red brakes. i cant imagine they will hurt anything but your wallet when it comes to daily driving.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Putting the RB fourpots on has been one of the best things I've done so far. Compared to my '93 L single piston garbage that was on there.

Threshold braking while stopping hard is nice and precise (no abs). I can flirt with lockup from damn near any speed. It's fun to freak people out around town by waiting by waiting till 50ft before a stop sign. I smelled a little pad once when icame down from about 120 in a real hurry. The the hum from the slotted rotors is kinda neat.

If you can spring for it, I highly reccommend it.

Besides, they just look pretty :-D
(when clean of course)
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

THAWA wrote:You could upgrade brake pads on turbo brakes and still come out way ahead in the money department with similar performance, so that's not really a point to be made.

Also 05+ Outbacks only have 294x24mm rotors up front, and 274x10mm rotors in the rear. Nothing too massive, 02-05WRX size to be exact.
As I said, to each is his own. It's only money, and also depends on what you're planning to do with the car.

Thanks for the correction on the rotor size. I checked the info I have. For some reason I thought the 3.0 liter outback had the larger brakes, but apparently only the GT models got them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

theflystyle
Second Gear

Post by theflystyle »

josh... your car prolly weighs less then your friends, if that matters at all about the feel of the braking power
-94 Legacy L
-94 SVX LSi
-08 Legacy 3.0R

-And the list of things your should never say again...gets longer....
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Mostly I just like the look of the red caliper. That's all. But I've made the investment in the WRX wheels and I just put a new set of tires on them. When I can get a set of the wrx calipers from the silghtly older WRX models I will just go that route.

I'm excited to try this upgrade, seems like a very practical improvement.

Thanks for the info.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You can always paint other calipers. Honestly for everyday driving in a near stock car, turbo brakes with good pads and tires are the best you can do for the money. Putting WRX fronts on my wagon actually made emergency braking worse due to a distribution imbalance.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote: Putting WRX fronts on my wagon actually made emergency braking worse due to a distribution imbalance.
Ditto....without doing anything in the rear to bring balance back to near stock f/r balance, you're hurting yourself under panic situations. Been there, done that, got in a small accident.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT