Rusty old rear brakes

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

totech
Second Gear

Rusty old rear brakes

Post by totech »

I was servicing my rear struts today, and noticed that the rear brakes on my BF wagon were really rusty.

Rusty rotors - hardly used
Very rusty splash covers

just rust rust rust.

So - it looks like the rear brakes are not working much at all!!

Has anyone else seen this?

What should I do - find a young person with a WRX and ask for the hand-me-downs?

Thanks

Andrew
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The actual contact surface between the pad and rotor is permanently rusted (not just yellow-looking from moisture)?. That's all I'd worry about... Mine has a lot of rust in that area, although it's not something to worry about...

If your rear brakes are not working, I dunno, check your hydraulics I guess... brakes aren't my forte :roll: ...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There will be rust around all the rotor except where the pad makes contact with it. If there's rust where the pad makes contact, then I'd start looking at things more closely, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Just some FYI. WRX rear brakes are exactly the same as your wagons. The disc size, caliper piston size. The only difference is in the caliper bracket, and the pad. The newer pads have two metal clips sticking out rather then one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

If I don't drive the car for a couple days, I get surface rust on the rotors (especially in the rainy weather recently). This is all normal. Apply the brakes a few times and the pads will scrub it off. I can hear a faint grinding as this happens. Even after the car spent an entire winter on blocks, it scrubbed off pretty quickly.

If your rust doesn't scrub itself off, or if the surface of the rotor is pitted, then clearly something else has gone wrong.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I had the exact same problem and I had to get new rotors because they were to pitted to be machined I was worried about my calipers being froze up but that was not trhe case.the pads wre just to worn to make solid contact with the rotor.take your wheel off and check your pads.if your pads are ok then you may have to bleed your brake lines or just take your calipers off the support bracket and make sure your pistons move when pressure is applied to brakes.i put new rotors and pads on my 92 turbo and now they qwork great.hope this helps :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]