1992 Legacy Turbo replacement brake master cylinder

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Olduser1
First Gear

1992 Legacy Turbo replacement brake master cylinder

Post by Olduser1 »

I would be interest to hear what owners in the USA do when faced with replacement brake master cylinder as in UK the parts are no longer available My 1992 Legacy Turbo has dual brake with ABS and the original cylinder is a NABCO 1 1/16th or 27mm bore part 26471AA031 is NA . The repair kit 26471AA031 is also NA
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1992 Legacy Turbo replacement brake master cylinder

Post by Legacy777 »

Fortunately I found a new brake MC a few years back. Are you able to get the repair kit? If not, my best suggestion would be to see what you can find possibly on ebay or if you find a decent used master cylinder use the parts from that to fix yours.

All the ABS equipped Legacies had the 1-1/16" bore master cylinder so you could look for a replacement on a non-turbo Legacy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Josh, Thats a good suggestion, I'm waiting for comments back from other BC owners in England. I'll let the forum know how I overcome this issue. Thanks.
Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Update - managed to track down new MC with help from UK Subaru Parts dept. I'll update the forum how I get on fitting it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good deal!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Finally I got around to fitting the brand new old stock master cylinder on the Legacy, the brake lines were tight until the the very last turn, sucked out the brake fluid, didnt bother with all the bench bleeding just refitted the new MC. I was planning to remove the brake booster as well but soon learnt that the booster on RHD Legacy does not come off without the removing the new Turbo - which had just been fitted a week earlier. So I clean off the muck & removed the surface rust then gave it an zinc primmer plus 3 costs of semi mat black spray paint.
As regards the refitting I needed to give the curved bracket for electrical connectors some attention to enable the new warning cable an easy fit.
After that it was another one man task to bleed the system starting with the ABS nipples then in sequence for my RHD Legacy.
I must say braking did improve given the brakes had over my ownership had new discs , new front seals, all new HEL brake hoses and brembo pads plus stainless bleeders.
Overall a worthwhile job , one I should have tackled during Covid lockdowns in the UK.
I used DOT Castrol brake fluid given it is a lighter colour than my go to Millers Oils Brake Fluid.

Also bled the clutch & slave cylinder - again you can fail to notice a drop off in operation, now I can start another month of following historic race carmeeting & rallys in Wales & Cumbria. Happy days ahead in the Legacy.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got the MC and everything sorted out!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Olduser1
First Gear

Post by Olduser1 »

Thanks Josh, I'm getting slower with my age but with dipping into my collection of "come in useful one day "parts my Legacy getting swifter by the mile.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I have a stash of various parts and I'm hesitant to get rid of them because it's becoming more difficult to find things for these older cars.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT