17" wheel advice/largest workable 17" tires

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Zoo Mob
First Gear

17" wheel advice/largest workable 17" tires

Post by Zoo Mob »

Bought these 2007 Forester XT wheels and tires for a steal last week, and I'm wondering if the wheels will work? Clearly the tires are way too big, and new smaller ones will be necessary. I've not tried to put them on yet, and I'm a little unclear about the whole offset issue. Has anyone used these on their legacy? Thoughts in general about 17" wheels, will these provide a crappy ride with the narrow sidewalls necessary? Should I sell these,make few bucks and get some 16's?

Last edited by Zoo Mob on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Yes those will work. Here is a link to Dynamic entry's car. He put a set of STI take-off tires on them and they work great.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275 ... 050060.jpg
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Zoo Mob
First Gear

Post by Zoo Mob »

That's great news, they look sweet. I can't decide whether or not to powedercoat them or not. I'm not sure what you mean by "STI takeoff tires" though. Thanks for the pic.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Zoo Mob wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "STI takeoff tires" though. Thanks for the pic.
They were the stock tires, bought slightly used, off of an STI.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

They look a bit out of proportion though. Maybe your best off just selling them and getting WRX rims.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

ericem wrote:They look a bit out of proportion though. Maybe your best off just selling them and getting WRX rims.
selling them to who? you? :smt047
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Well. Maybe. Nah. I wouldn't be a asshole and suggest something just to get some nice rims ;)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Zoo Mob
First Gear

Post by Zoo Mob »

I guess I'm still up in the air as to whether I'm going to keep these things or not, posted up a few places, and many seem to think the wheels look too big. Guess I have to decide for myself, of well, I've got a couple of months before the snows come off to think about it. Might put 'em up on ebay with a reserve that makes it worth it to sell em and see what happens.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I love those wheels. I think they'd look awesome on the car.

What problem would you have with offset? As best I know, no Forester wheels ever had more than +48. Not great, but not terrible.

Yeah, put some low-profile sticky tires on them, and make them your summer wheels.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Zoo Mob
First Gear

Post by Zoo Mob »

Here's the actual wheels on the car, offset is clearly fine, but what's the biggest 17" tire usable on these? The ones on it are way too big, and the tires what closest match the original diameter (215/40/17 and 205/45/17) are really expensive, how much room do I have to work with as far as total diameter?

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

you could put on a 225/45 or a 215/45. I think they're more readily available. If you want to be really cheap try to find some stock re-92s off a newer legacy gt or 06-08 wrx. Or some RE070s off an sti if you're looking for something sticky.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Those first pics are photochopped, no?

I am a big fan of the 17s with 225/45 RE070s (these are the STi take-offs), they stick "like shit to a shovel"

But if you can make nice profit on them, go for it, there are lots of other factory wheels to help raise your unsprung weight :roll:

but if you keep them, don't forget to paint them Greeeeeen - or whatever you want to do......
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

Dynamic Entry wrote:Those first pics are photochopped, no?
he just put the new wheels in front of the current wheels. giving us an idea on how it looks. which I'm digging a lot.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

ah yes, now I understand the tire-iron, that lighting was deceptive....
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I have some tires and rims on my sti that my roomate wants to buy with they fit? the tires are 225/50 r 17

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=38972
1993 Legacy Turbo Sedan SadPanda
1994 Legacy Turbo Wagon (Aspen)--SOLD
1990 2.2l Legacy--RIP
Keeping the Legacy's Legacy

"Straight roads are for fast cars. turning roads are for fast drivers"

Official Subaru Ambassador
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Check to see the offset of those rims. if they are 55, then I would go with a 205, if they are 53 then you might be able to get 215s to work.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
94LegWagon
First Gear

Post by 94LegWagon »

hmmm 17's just look huge...
94 Legacy Wagon N/A 5mt AWD
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I have 235/40/17s on my car. They don't rub at all, but that's after I did a bit of fender rolling on the rears.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
yazmo
Third Gear

Re: 17" wheel advice/largest workable 17" tires

Post by yazmo »

asc i have a question , hope somebody can answer me
i have a friend who have a set of 18" BBS CH wheels black edition these a very amazing he want to sell them for about 500$
with tire

i just dont know if these can fit on my sedan turbo 1994
i have H&R spring that already lowered my car, what do you think what should i check to know if the fitment is good
i mean look like its going to be a close match but over bump
im worry
anyone here have 18 inch wheel on ?
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re:

Post by Apex3 »

jamal wrote:you could put on a 225/45 or a 215/45. I think they're more readily available. If you want to be really cheap try to find some stock re-92s off a newer legacy gt or 06-08 wrx. Or some RE070s off an sti if you're looking for something sticky.
This, but those wheels look pretty decent, and they're unique. You can get a decent set of tires for around $400

This has been super useful to me
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The wrong tire size can cause some issues, not huge things, but rubbing, and mostly your speedometer will be off, then again who am I to talk? I drove for a year with no speedometer, across the state on highways and everything, long enough that I knew exactly my speed from just about any gear and rpm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My car is lowered on 225/45/17s on 17x8s and it rubbed bad. Rolled the fenders and now zero rubbing.
Last edited by kimokalihi on Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yazmo wrote:asc i have a question , hope somebody can answer me
i have a friend who have a set of 18" BBS CH wheels black edition these a very amazing he want to sell them for about 500$
with tire

i just dont know if these can fit on my sedan turbo 1994
i have H&R spring that already lowered my car, what do you think what should i check to know if the fitment is good
i mean look like its going to be a close match but over bump
im worry
anyone here have 18 inch wheel on ?

You will likely have fitment issues with an 18" wheel.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

If you wanted to run 18's, you'd need to run rubber bands for tires. Max would probably something like 225/35/18 and you'd need to roll the rears a bit.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

And those will be expensive tires and some places won't mount them as profiles that low are a PITA. I don't know how the ride will be, but I would imagine it would be terrible. These care were designed for 14 and 15" wheels originally, so that's a pretty big jump. Your first line of bump absorption is the tires and already having a stiffer suspension might be too much, depending on your tolerance. I don't know how they'd affect handling either, but they may make it worse from increased unsprung weight and too much stiffness. Turn in will likely improve, but hard cornering over bumps might cause some wandering like a live axle car. That's all conjecture on my part, so if someone here has 18's, maybe they can clarify with real world examples.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

evolutionmovement wrote:And those will be expensive tires and some places won't mount them as profiles that low are a PITA. I don't know how the ride will be, but I would imagine it would be terrible. These care were designed for 14 and 15" wheels originally, so that's a pretty big jump. Your first line of bump absorption is the tires and already having a stiffer suspension might be too much, depending on your tolerance. I don't know how they'd affect handling either, but they may make it worse from increased unsprung weight and too much stiffness. Turn in will likely improve, but hard cornering over bumps might cause some wandering like a live axle car. That's all conjecture on my part, so if someone here has 18's, maybe they can clarify with real world examples.
All of that is things that happen already as you go up in size at all, I'm inclined to agree though, I'd imagine 18s would be way overkill. I know a lot of e30 and Miata guys prefer to run stock size or +1 on the track, they say anything bigger makes the cars handle worse, though they do have stiffer sidewalls than your average tire. Personally I like the feel of 16s