Help.. Pretty much no brakes.....

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HandleWitCare
First Gear

Help.. Pretty much no brakes.....

Post by HandleWitCare »

Ok so i got a 91 SS and i pretty much have no brakes.. i mean the car stops but i have to slam it to the floor.. I got a ABS light on, dosent come on as soon as i start the car just when i disengage the clutch to roll out into first gear. :( Then boom with out fail theres the ABS light :evil: and my breaks seem to dissapear.... I have pretty much no pressure. :?: the go to the floor and gradualy stop. the break fluid is at right level and i have not recently done any break work?... What could this possibley be? Please all help would be great :mrgreen:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help.. Pretty much no brakes.....

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to diagnose the problem further, or take it to a mechanic to diagnose. First thing I would do is check for leaks. Then I would suggest bleeding the brakes to ensure there's no air in the lines. If all that is good, I'd try pulling the ABS codes to see what is stored and causing the light to go on.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... bsdiag.jpg

This one shows the connector, but the codes aren't correct for the first gen legacy
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... ostics.pdf
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

WOW, its been to long, Sorry. Well i finally got the code of the abs unit. Code 16? Faulty abs unit? How do i diagnose now? Any suggestions? :cry:
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Where is the location of the G sensor?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The G sensor should be mounted on the transmission tunnel, just below where the E-brake is.

I think code 16 is a general code to cover several things like the wiring and G sensor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

It probably wouldn't hurt to replace the brake fluid because of it's age. We all know that it was never replaced and for being 20 years old it should have been long time ago . When I installed my stainless braided lines I did replace the fluid and let me tell you it was brown I'm sure the abs system likes it nice and amber but that's more maintenance . You should adress the code first if that doesn't fix it replace the fluid and bleed the brakes
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I have had a faulty abs unit give me sporadic diminished braking on an International truck. The reason I knew it was the abs is you could feel and hear the pump running when you stepped on the brake. Sounds like yours could be doing the same as if all wheels are on glare ice. Can you tell if your pump is running when you step on the brake?

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.