Napa rotors? Anygood?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Napa rotors? Anygood?

Post by Shaggy »

Are napa rotors Anygood? I'm in the proccess of moving into a new house so I'm not very rich with the greenbacks right now and I need new rotors and brakes for the front. I was wondering if napa rotors are any good? They are only $25 each. Or should I go for some better rotors like some brembos( found some for $38 each on eBay new). I also need pads and was wondering if I should go with napa pads or get some falcon hps pads? Feel free to give honest opinions.
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Napa rotors? Anygood?

Post by Legacy777 »

I personally like Subaru OEM rotors, however most of the aftermarket/parts store rotors are all made in China. If you're limited on funds, get what you can afford. A rotor for the most part is a rotor. There can be some differences in the casting material and process which can contribute to the rotor's longevity, but I doubt you'll see a big difference between a $25 rotor and a $38 rotor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Well the $38 rotor is brembo and originally goes for $75, but I found it on eBay for 38. Oem rotors at my stealership are $109 each. Don't wanna pay that much for em.. Thank u Josh, I'll probably go with the napa ones. What about the pads? Should I just go with napa( their prices are 25, 45, 60) or should I try to go with falcons for 83?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I personally like EBC red stuff pads for a "performance" daily use pad. You can usually find them online for a reasonable price. They are a semi-metallic pad and do pretty good and aren't too hard on rotors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

hey shag,

josh is right on and i want to interject some things to consider when searching for good replacement parts...
1. go with oe parts if you can. it is usally just 10% or so these days and you get engineered quality, not mass produced-price competition. oe pads last forever in daily driving routine...
2. if that fails, buy from Napa. this respected company does it's best to have reliable parts and won't let you down on purpose.
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

I recently changed my gf's 03 legacy with Napa rotors/pads all around. its a daily driver, we're both happy with the quality and the prices are right.

Good luck with your choice.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I liked my Brembos on my BMW just fine. As for the Napa pads, ask them who makes them, they'll usually tell you, but Napa makes some decent quality stuff, I'd be less skeptical buying their in house brand than Autozone or Oreilly.

As for pads, I LOVE my PBR/Axxis Metal Masters. I'm not a fan of ceramic pads at all, a shame because they're a lot more common.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Apex3 wrote:As for pads, I LOVE my PBR/Axxis Metal Masters. I'm not a fan of ceramic pads at all, a shame because they're a lot more common.
What other pads have you tried recently? I still have been very impressed from a set of performance friction carbon metallic pads I had on my Legacy back in the mid-late 90's. Those things stopped impressively, even for stock non-turbo brakes.

I've been mostly happy with the mintex 1155 pads, and have been plesently surprised with the EBC red stuff pads on my Impreza. It's my daily driver. The pads are not noisy, they have excellent stopping power, good initial bite, and really haven't noticed fade issues.

I ran the Axxis metal masters for a while, and they were ok, but dusted pretty heavily. They may have improved things since I last ran them in the mid 2000's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Legacy777 wrote:
Apex3 wrote:As for pads, I LOVE my PBR/Axxis Metal Masters. I'm not a fan of ceramic pads at all, a shame because they're a lot more common.
What other pads have you tried recently? I still have been very impressed from a set of performance friction carbon metallic pads I had on my Legacy back in the mid-late 90's. Those things stopped impressively, even for stock non-turbo brakes.

I've been mostly happy with the mintex 1155 pads, and have been plesently surprised with the EBC red stuff pads on my Impreza. It's my daily driver. The pads are not noisy, they have excellent stopping power, good initial bite, and really haven't noticed fade issues.

I ran the Axxis metal masters for a while, and they were ok, but dusted pretty heavily. They may have improved things since I last ran them in the mid 2000's.
I don't know what was on my Legacy before, but I had PBR Deluxe on my e30, and they would fade really badly. I couldn't care less about dust or noise, and metallics are more fade resistant, so I went with those. The ceramics also warped my rotors pretty quick, and while I know "warped rotors" is really something else, whatever that problem is happened, and didn't with metallics.

I heard they dusted bad, but it's really not that big of a problem IMO, starts to show after a couple weeks, then they'll look pretty dirty after 3+, but I wash my car more often than that anyway usually. My only real complaint is that they take a bit to warm up, which would be a non issue in the city, but I do a lot of highway driving, so they don't do much warming up.

The other thing I was looking for was price, they were only ~$60 from Napa IIRC, a lot cheaper than any EBC or Hawk pads I could find.
white91wagon
In Neutral

Post by white91wagon »

I work at a NAPA in Leavenworth,Wa. The rotors we sell are OE spec in every measurement. Many other foreign built rotors have thinner walls to save money which ours don't. I have never warrantied any of them for defects of any kind, and they are checked by NAPA before they are shipped over seas. Not trying to sell my product or anything. Just saying there not crap and worth the price. I'm certain sure your NAPA can also order rotors from their Altrom warehouse. Altrom usually stocks Brembo, and other OE brands for very low cost.
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Thanks i appreciate it
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Apex3 wrote:I couldn't care less about dust or noise, and metallics are more fade resistant, so I went with those.
Maybe we're talking about different types of pads. Usually carbon metallic pads are much more fade resistance than just semi-metallic pads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT