Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92wagon
Second Gear

I Need some new tires

Post by 92wagon »

Hi all,

Looking for two sets of 205/55/16.

The first set I'm looking for is an all season set.

The second set I'm looking for is a summer set.

I don't want to spend over 400$ a set if I can help it. and I'm looking to buy new not used.

So my question is... What would you recommend?? What have you had that you have liked, good tread wear, etc......

thanks for your input!

Ryan
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
94LegWagon
First Gear

Re: I Need some new tires

Post by 94LegWagon »

$400 will get you a decent set of all seasons or summers.

Check tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearc ... iameter=16
94 Legacy Wagon N/A 5mt AWD
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I'd recommend 50 series for the summers. I've had good luck w/ Kumho's.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I second tirerack. Even with shipping, they're usually cheaper than local places, the selection is better, and they have reviews on the site.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Tirerack is nice and very helpful (ask for Luke), but if you're in an area that has a discount tire company they'll match the price of tirerack. I went with tire rack on the last set. Price worked about about the same as the B&M because i had to get them balanced and mounted and all that jazz. It's 125 approximately for mounting and balancing at all the places i called. So 84 dollars per tire (general uhp) + shipping (48) + the warranty (40) + mounting and balancing (125). I think in the end it ended up being 30 dollars cheaper than just going to a B&M place, and that was without price matching first. If you can't find the tire you want at a tire shop, definitely go to tirerack. but if you can, see if they'll price match it. it's much more convenient, and you don't have to send in your invoices for repair if you get the warranty from tire rack, and the tire shop will be more willing to do small things for your tires, flat repair re-balancing rotating, etc.

As far as tires, i have generals now. they're ok, but i'm not sure if i liked them as much as the falkiens i had. Supposedly they have a longer mileage life, and they're 33% cheaper. But i liked the stickiness of my last set of falkiens.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L