Brake Bias

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Brake Bias

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't know a lot about brakes but I gather that from the factory a car is designed with a certain brake bias (front braking performance vs rear) that works most effectively on that vehicle.

That said, is it a better idea to upgrade your brake pads to race pads or upgrade to larger OEM brakes with OEM pads? Is your brake bias going to be changed much (or at all) using brakes off a WRX, newer legacy, STI, etc?

I'm sure tons of things affect the performance of the vehicles brakes including weight, weight distribution, suspension geomtry and components, tires, etc. Most, if not all of these variables are going to be different (even if only slightly) on any other vehicle so I assume it's something to consider before bolting on brakes from different vehicle.

So if I wanted the safest and best performing brakes should I buy new rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads (or similar) or bolt on a set WRX/STI brakes?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: Brake Bias

Post by n2x4 »

I don't want to sound like a dick, but have you read the brake sticky? The FAQ really goes into great detail. Even Josh's spreadsheet shows you the percentage of change in brake torque when you compare the upgrades you're considering. I've missed good sticky threads before myself, so don't think I'm suggesting this in angst.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30989

What kind of tires do you have?
SUBARUEHS Racing
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol no problem. I have not read the sticky. I don't always see them I guess. I'll take a look at it. Thanks

I'm running 225/45/17 General Exclaim UHP tires. They're brand new.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

haha- I guess I'm on NASIOC too much where everyone's a dick. The sticky should answer all your questions. You've got good tires, so you're set there.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My spreadsheet will give you an idea of the change in brake torque. Brake torque & bias are slightly different. The main advantage in going to larger OEM brake setups is that you increase the thermal capacity of the brake system. The larger the rotors, the more heat they can absorb and disapate before overheating.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm