Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Snow tires?

Post by magicmike »

Did some searching but came up empty.

Do you use em? What do you have?

I have a set of extra wheels and I thought I'd look into a set since I'm getting almost no grip from my all seasons this winter :roll:
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Re: Snow tires?

Post by kleinkid »

I have had mounted Michelin Arctic Alpin, stock size on 15" wheels, for six years now, for my '91 SS. Usually put them on end of November, take them off beginning of March. Work great. Car is a tank in the snow.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

+1 for Arctic Alpin's. Those have saved my car multiple times, most memorably when a semi truck cut me off on the highway and full braking was needed in snow. Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4's are also good.
90 L+ wgn
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I have Blizzak REV01's, and those are hands down the best snows I've ever used. I hear they are discontinued, but the Blizzak WS60's always get good feedback.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

Its hard to get the back end to slide with the winter tires!!!! :-/
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've driven past lifted (domestic) 4X4s on my blizzak WS-50s. In my stock-height wagon, no less. I love 'em, but they're no longer available. I can't imagine that their replacement, the WS-60, is any worse though.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've heard very good things about the Blizzak's as well. I ran Yoko Guardex's when I was in PA, and they were very good as well. Saved my butt on ice on one occasion.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I cant recall ever having this much snow in a winter before... I havent gotten stuck but the all seasons are really sucking this year for some reason. Usually the snow is not a problem with the all seasons but the car is somehow all over the place this winter.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The Mazda's actually getting by acceptably with performance all-seasons, but I'll be getting a set of snows for the next car.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

go for the firestone winterforce tires. i have them on my stock 15s. they are great on the snow. but they do SUCK in the dry, that is if you like to roll corners fast.
The tires are also REALLY good for rallyX too :)
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

race_to_live wrote:go for the firestone winterforce tires. i have them on my stock 15s. they are great on the snow. but they do SUCK in the dry, that is if you like to roll corners fast.
The tires are also REALLY good for rallyX too :)

+1! Cheap too!
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Just an opinion, but All-season tires simply suck at everything. ;-)

I got a set of these Hankooks in 14" Icepike 409, or something like that
Hakka knock-off tread pattern :wink:

Quiet on dry pavement with decent handling, and absolutely unstoppable in snow.
Got me out of 18" unplowed fresh for about 1/4 mile before I got to a plowed section... I raised the suspension and drove right out. Everyone else was shoveling for hours.

Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

Nokian Hakka4
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

magicmike wrote:I cant recall ever having this much snow in a winter before... I havent gotten stuck but the all seasons are really sucking this year for some reason. Usually the snow is not a problem with the all seasons but the car is somehow all over the place this winter.
Mike, how many seasons have you used your all-seasons? Or, how much tread depth is remaining? I haven't been in snow country for many years but I recall reading an article that said all-seasons tires with full tread can be acceptable for use in winter conditions but once they get to 2/3 or less tread depth, then you'll start running into traction issues. But one can run snow or winter tires with just under 1/2 tread depth left and get better traction that all-seasons with 2/3 tread left.

The above is a generality but I think the principles are still sound. Especially considering winter tires are compounded for the cold while all-seasons tires are not. The more all-season tires wear down, the rubber usually becomes harder and less effective for winter driving.

You probably need a new set of all-season tires for adequate performance in the snow or snow tires for even better performance.
'94 TW
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

93Leg-c wrote:
magicmike wrote:I cant recall ever having this much snow in a winter before... I havent gotten stuck but the all seasons are really sucking this year for some reason. Usually the snow is not a problem with the all seasons but the car is somehow all over the place this winter.
Mike, how many seasons have you used your all-seasons? Or, how much tread depth is remaining? I haven't been in snow country for many years but I recall reading an article that said all-seasons tires with full tread can be acceptable for use in winter conditions but once they get to 2/3 or less tread depth, then you'll start running into traction issues. But one can run snow or winter tires with just under 1/2 tread depth left and get better traction that all-seasons with 2/3 tread left.

The above is a generality but I think the principles are still sound. Especially considering winter tires are compounded for the cold while all-seasons tires are not. The more all-season tires wear down, the rubber usually becomes harder and less effective for winter driving.

You probably need a new set of all-season tires for adequate performance in the snow or snow tires for even better performance.
your quotation is directly related to what is the FACT for Blizzacks. The outer compound on Blizzacks are soft and pliable, but once wore down about 12-15k miles, its hard rubber and they are no good. Biiizacks test good when new, but test like hockey pucks after 2 years use. Thats why, you see lots of used Blizzacks for sale saying used 2 years, lots tread left. Well the tread left is not useable for snow and ice. Just saying.

Now, the other brands, for instance, Nokian, Pirelli, Michelin, those treads are good for many year, basically til the tread is worn out completely, the whole compound is soft. Those tires test good even after 30k miles a point where Blizzacks have long ago failed in snow and ice.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Bheinen74, thanks for those details! Accurate knowledge about things definitely is an advantage!
'94 TW