Brake compatibily with a 92 Fwd Legacy

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mpereznoble
In Neutral

Brake compatibily with a 92 Fwd Legacy

Post by mpereznoble »

Hi, i have a 92 Legacy, 2.0 and Fwd. My rear brakes are not discs. I dont know how are they called.

I want to make an upgrade to my brakes and if possible, put discs in all tires.

The question is, wich brakes will fit my car?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Brake compatibily with a 92 Fwd Legacy

Post by evolutionmovement »

They are called drums. You don't have discs on the front, at least? What country are you from? US models were all disc brakes with the rear discs containing an inner drum for the parking brake. It can definitely be done, but I'm not sure what you'd need exactly. I would guess you could get a hold of disc brake hubs and brakes and swap them. You'll probably also have to change out the rubber brake line by the wheel so it will reach, but I'm not sure. You may need to get the spindles from the disc models also and the master cylinder might need to be changed, as well.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mpereznoble
In Neutral

Post by mpereznoble »

Sorry, i wasnt clear.
I have font discs and rear drums. I want to upgrade my disc and put bigger ones and if possible, change the drums to discs.

I want to know what brakes (for example Impreza GT brakes or so) are "plug and play" with my car. Or if there are any of that type, wich ones could a put by making few mods. I would like to put some Brembo disc, they dont have to be from an impreza or Legacy GT, but some drilled rotors with bigger calippers. If its possible put some OEM or JDM it would be great, if it cant be done, i would go the other way.

Im from Uruguay, its nearly imposible to find any spear parts of these cars here, and REALY imposible to find stuff like STI Brembos...

I`m all eyes now and willing to see and read what mods you made to your cars. I THINK that my front discs are the same as the Turbo.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can pretty much swap most of the newer Subaru brakes onto your Legacy. For the drums you will need to get a rear spindle/hub from a disc brake car and swap that entire piece. A junkyard would be your best option or someone parting out a car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm