Different tires?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Different tires?

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

I JUST bought a used but almost new set of snow tires on wheels for my 92 touring wagon. A few days after putting them on I got a flat by hitting a pot hole and I now have a hole in the side wall on one of the tires.

I tried to find a replacement tire of the same size and model but they don't make it anymore.

Do I have to get a whole set of 4 tires again? I've read that while you are supposed to it's only really an big issue with the cars with a LSD.

I was thinking I could try to replace the front two tires with a pair from the same company that way there'd be less variance of tire size between company to company but I just don't know.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks
mike-tracy

Re: Different tires?

Post by mike-tracy »

You're supposed to match all four, at least within 1-2 32nd's tread depth, according to the manual. Have you checked on ebay? I was able to find nearly new tires (that were also discontinued) with the same tread as my other two. Took a few weeks of searching, though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different tires?

Post by Legacy777 »

The overall tire circumference is supposed to be within 1/2" I believe between all tires. So if you can't find the same tire, you may be able to find a tire with similar circumference. Remember that a tires circumference may change between unloaded and loaded (i.e. no weight on the tire vs. weight on the tire)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm