What brand rotors or what plating recommended

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subiel94
Second Gear

What brand rotors or what plating recommended

Post by Subiel94 »

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-JBR-957XL

I found these rotors on summitracing and I've been wanting to get new rotors for my car but I have never bought new rotors. I have the 03 wrx rotors and brakes on my car now so Ik it's not for my car but it is. Lol anyways what do yall recommend on these rotors if used before or what rotors do y'all recommend? Also which plating do you like all these opinions would be awesome. I'd like to get drilled or slotted or both but any opinions would be awesome!

Thanks!
Last edited by Subiel94 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Re: Power stop rotors or what plating recommended

Post by Subiel94 »

Or even what about these???

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-USR728

The ebc's seem like they would be better but then again I have never bought rotors. So all help is awesome thanks again!
mike-tracy

Re: Power stop rotors or what plating recommended

Post by mike-tracy »

My thoughts are that anything but solid disc rotors are overkill unless you are a track rat. I've always used solid rotors, with upgraded pads. The slotted rotors will eat your pads faster, and thus cause them to dust more. They sure look sexy though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Re: What brand rotors or what plating recommended

Post by Subiel94 »

Yeah I thought about maybe down the road autocross. But idk I really like the look of em. And I'm just getting mean vibes when I apply the brakes so I figured why not get something that looks nice. Lol
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

Drilled rotors will crack. I've had it happen, on not only a street car, but also on a full-blown track car. Slotted works decently, but the best combo is Brembo blank rotors and Hawk pads (HPS for street, HP+ for track/autoX).
--Evan

1977 Mercury Monarch - "Project: Monarchasaurus"
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4eat - "Project: Teh Subacabra"

Vanity Automotive and Marine Detailing
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Spend the money on cryo treating—they'll last many times longer. Any rotor can be bought and treated or you can buy treated ones direct from a cryo place. I've done both and found the latter to be cheaper, but as with most things, YMMV.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

so where can i get rotors cryo treated? or what brand sells em cryo treated? and ok ive heard of the drilled rotors cracking but i wasnt sure if it depends on the brands and what they are plated with. so ill look for more slotted. i just think they would look cool.
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

When it comes to something like a safety item, function > form.
--Evan

Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

so you wouldnt run just slotted rotors?
Chefasaurus
In Neutral

Post by Chefasaurus »

Not for aesthetics... I've had them on a few cars, but bear in mind, I heavily autoX every car I have. I've gone through a set of Hawk HP+ pads in 4 months before, with some PowerSlot rotors.
--Evan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You'd have to google it, but I think I used Onecryo before. I went from pulsing rotors every 4-6 months to pulsing only after wearing through nearly to the vents in 4 years.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've never had the pulsing rotors problem. Do you drive your car really hard Steve? My friend had his rotors and pads replaced on his dodge ram 1500 last summer and they just started shuttering bad and I helped him remove them and have them lathed and put new pads on but I don't think they should have done that in such little time.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I used to drive hard. Heavy three figure stops, left foot braking. One that really cooked them was the Reno-Sacramento run. There's a few long descents there and on the way. I stayed over 100 most of the time.

Rotors today are made thinner for less weight and probably cheapness. The truck rotors might be thicker, but I personally don't agree with turning modern rotors because if they pulsed before, removing material will only have them doing it again shortly and then you're buying new rotors anyway. Unless you're looking for a cheap way to fix the problem just to sell the car.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll second Steve's recommendation on cryo-treated rotors. Hands down it's the best bang for your buck. I've used www.onecryo.com on all my cryo treatment for rotors.

On the brand of rotor, personally I like OEM Subaru discs. They have tended to last longer and not give me problems compared to aftermarket stuff like Brembro. Keep in mind brembro just buys the blanks and sticks there name on them.

As for slotted, I've got slotted now, and while they're ok, with most modern pads, they're not necessary. Drilled, don't use them.

I did a write-up a long time ago comparing the two
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/brakes.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

What slotted ones do you have Josh?
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.j ... toModClar=

so would yall prefer these ones more? id really like to get slotted or something but the cryo slotted rotors are 100+ a piece.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Short vs. long term. If you feel you're hard enough on your brakes to need slotted rotors, then the greatly increased life of the cryo treating will make up for its initial cost if you plan on driving the car indefinitely. If the plan is to only keep it short term, then its probably not worth the money. It's a microcosm of consumerism—pay more initially for long term quality or buy cheap, throw away, and continually replace/move on to something else. I'm almost completely the former, but the very limited selection of true quality items that aren't seriously over priced to rip off the wealthy or to make up for the inability to reduce prices through increased sales volumes shows me to be in a small minority.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've been thinking about Cryo-Stop rotors from Centric when my RacingBrake stuff is toast in the near future. I've had great luck with Centric rotors on other cars.

Otherwise, a ton of local guys use Diversified Cryogenics, a local company.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Subiel94 wrote:What slotted ones do you have Josh?

I've got rotors I bought from Primitive Motorsports

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/brakes.htm

I've got the curved slot rotors.

Items No
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm