Dragging brake

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Dragging brake

Post by Shaggy »

The front side passengers brake is dragging. It makes a rubbing noise when im driving. Also the inside brake pad is almost gone but the outside still has half the pad left. The noise goes away instantly when when i push on the brakes. What could cause this?
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dragging brake

Post by Legacy777 »

The caliper guide pins are most likely frozen and there's no grease allowing the caliper to slide freely on the caliper bracket guide pins.

You can try to disassemble the caliper, clean the guide pins and boots up, and then regrease everything. Make sure to check that the boots are in good shape and aren't torn or ripped. If the guide pins are rusted too bad, you'll need to replace the caliper. I'd also suggest replacing the brake pads as well while you're at it. You may want to check the driver's side too to see that the caliper guide pins are moving freely.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I was planning on taking a look at the other side tonight but i had to work a long day today so i might end up doin it tommorow. If i have time this weekend ill pull them apart and check them out. If i dont have time i will probably end up buyin some from a parts store or online. What should i stay away from if i decide to buy some? Thanks for the info josh
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've not purchased any new calipers from the parts stores, so I don't have any specific recommendation. However, do check them out and look if they are "new" or remanufactured. Based on my past experience with chinese made cv axles, I'd recommend staying away from chinese made stuff....but that may be hard to do.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm