Metallic shriek... wheel bearing?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ashergrey
In Neutral

Metallic shriek... wheel bearing?

Post by ashergrey »

My 94 Legacy Touring Wagon has developed a loud metallic shriek from the driver's front wheel area. This comes a few hundred miles after a replacement of the brake rotor, pads and strut/spring combo. It started immediately after going over a deep road dip at an angle and the intensity of the squeal goes up and down based upon the load on the suspension (ie it varies with steering input).

I jacked up the car and took off the wheel, thinking it might have been a stuck brake caliper. That wasn't the case. With the brakes retracted I could turn the rotor by hand and still hear the scraping noise.

I'm thinking this is a shot wheel bearing, but most people describe that sound as more of a hub. I'd like a little verification though before I go ahead with replacing the hub. Has anyone ever had a shot wheel bearing that made a strong metallic screech?
1994 Pure White Touring Wagon
H4_Deucer
First Gear

Re: Metallic shriek... wheel bearing?

Post by H4_Deucer »

Make sure to check your backing plate, they can get bent and scrape the rotor making it sound like worn brakes. You can grab the plate and bend it back with your hand.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'd also suggest checking the rotor backing plate. Wheel bearings typically don't fail in an "all of a sudden" manner.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ashergrey
In Neutral

Post by ashergrey »

Good thought. I didn't think to check the backing plate. I'll do that first.

The car sees a fair amount of rough driving (lots of washboarded, potholed dirt roads at speed) so I figure much of the suspension is worn/stressed. I guess that's why my mind jumps to more serious problems first.
ashergrey
In Neutral

Post by ashergrey »

There was a teeeeeeny little rock wedged between the backing plate and the rotor. Never would have seen it if I hadn't been on the hunt back there. Thanks for the sound advice.